Subject: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 23:57:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : BGPsec Operational Considerations
	Author(s)       : Randy Bush
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-02.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2012-03-07

   Deployment of the BGPsec architecture and protocols has many
   operational considerations.  This document attempts to collect and
   present them.  It is expected to evolve as BGPsec is formalized and
   initially deployed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-02.txt

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:00:34 +0900

constructive comments before dreadline solicited

as a wise early review said:

    Overall this doc seems like a good start but it doesn't actually
    tell me how to configure my router and has more "mights" and "on the
    other hands" than I'd prefer to see in a BCP. Maybe I am asking for
    too much given that this is a protocol that has yet to see the light
    of day. And maybe I should step back and ask what your goal is --
    I'm operating under the assumption that a network operator should be
    able to read this and find if not a cookbook, at least some solid
    guidelines for how to configure their network. I don't yet see
    that. (I do see the caveat that "[the doc] is expected to evolve"
    and maybe that's all that's needed.)

it's a hard balance between a firm warning and letting the operator do
as they will, even if it means shooting themselves in the foot.

randy