Subject: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:31:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : BGPSEC Protocol Specification
	Author(s)       : Matthew Lepinski
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-06.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   This document describes BGPSEC, an extension to the Border Gateway
   Protocol (BGP) that provides security for the path of autonomous
   systems through which a BGP update message passes.  BGPSEC is
   implemented via a new optional non-transitive BGP path attribute that
   carries a digital signature produced by each autonomous system that
   propagates the update message.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Matthew Lepinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:45:57 -0400

Greetings.

I posted a new -06 version of the BGPSEC protocol specification. This
includes all of the changes that we discussed at the interim meeting
in Amsterdam last month.

Note: I took out Additional_Info. It wasn't clear to me whether or not
the working group wanted an extension mechanism to enable to
originator to add additional signed data. However, it was clear at the
interim that the -05 version of Additional_Info wasn't very useful, so
I took it out. If the working group decides that we need a mechanism
to fill the role of Additional_Info, I am happy to add one back in. As
previously mentioned, I would be quite happy to see discussion of this
topic on the list.

Also, with regards to error handling, it wasn't clear after the
interim what was the correct way forward with regards to error
handling. I would love to get some Working Group Chair guidance on how
best to proceed with error handling. (The -06 version does NOT have a
Normative Reference to the IDR error handling draft, is one required?)

Finally, I got a bunch of incredibly detailed reviews with lots of
helpful fixes. I believe that I have incorporated almost all of the
fixes suggested in those reviews. However, there's a good chance that
I missed one or two given the volume of small changes that I was
making. I plan to go through each of the recent reviews and
double-check that I addressed all of the requested changes. If I find
that I missed something, I will issue a small -07 update after
Atlanta. In any case, I greatly appreciate the detailed reviews. I am
pretty certain that I have incorporated all the major fixes, and I
apologize if I missed a small fix that you suggested.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sidr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr