Subject: [sidr] LACNIC 18 / LACNOG 2012 conference network

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:08:22 -0200

Hello,

We will be running origin validation on our conference routers
(hopefully) starting this Saturday. We have already tested the
configuration in the ISPs testbed and the equipment is currently being
moved to the conference venue.

We'll be using dual instances of RIPE's validator app as the RTR server.

For starters we will be accepting invalids anyways (yes, yes, I know :-)
), but we plan on switching to fully paranoid mode over the week.

If there is interest in running / performing some experiment(s) we can
talk about it.

cheers!

~Carlos

---

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:46:26 +0000

Congratulations!  As far as I know, this makes you the very first network to do origin validation with RPKI data.

I think hearing the details of your experience would be of interest to the wg.  Would it be possible for you to discuss?  I realize that your meeting is the week before IETF, and you might be taking a rest when it is over, but remote presentations are possible.  And the sidr session is Friday.

--Sandy

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on behalf of Carlos M. Martinez [[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [sidr] LACNIC 18 / LACNOG 2012 conference network

Hello,

cheers!

~Carlos
_______________________________________________
sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:58:55 -0200

Carlos and I we will be there in Atlanta and will be happy to talk
about the experience.

Regards,
as

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:06:26 -0200

Sandy,

Arturo and I will be in ATL, so yes, we could have a little chat about
the experiencie.

So far, the outcomes I see as possible are:

- Everything crashes down on Sunday/Monday and we have to disable OV (I
don't really think this will happen, but ya never know :-)

- We find software instabilities on part of the validators, or on the
router platform requiring significant operator support to keep OV running.

- Users complaints that can be traced back to invalids being dropped
(staring Tuesday probably)

- Nothing happens (AKA World IPv6 Day Effect)

We currently have 450 registered participants, although from past
experience we know that about 70% - 80% will actually show up. Also from
past experience we expect people to use about 1.5 IP addresses per attendee.

The conference AS is 28002, and we are currently announcing
190.64.16.0/22, 190.64.20.0/24 (sub allocated from ANTEL Uruguay) and
2001:13c7:7003::/48 (from our own allocations). We created the ROAs for
the IPv6 block and ANTEL Uruguay created the ROAs for the sub-allocated
blocks.

Warm regards,

~Carlos

---

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:14:06 +0000

Every possible outcome would be interesting.  Just what you used, what/how you set up,

And of course anything missing in specs that the wg should address.

--Sandy

________________________________________
From: Carlos M. Martinez [[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:06 PM
To: Murphy, Sandra
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [sidr] LACNIC 18 / LACNOG 2012 conference network

Sandy,

Warm regards,

~Carlos

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:17:45 -0700

> Congratulations!  As far as I know, this makes you the very first
> network to do origin validation with RPKI data.

possibly as far as you know.  but not true.  a bunch of stubs, like
conferences and other more stable stubs, have and continue to run cisco
and juniper origin validation implementstions against various caches,
ncc's, rpki.net, etc.

i do not know of any transit backbone routers running origin
validations, though euro-transit might be.

randy

---

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:21:34 +0000

>possibly as far as you know.  but not true.  

Exactly why I phrased that as I did.  Congrats are still due.

>a bunch of stubs, like
<validations, though euro-transit might be.

Any point in asking some of those people to speak of their experience to the wg?

--Sandy