Subject: [sidr] Protocol Action: 'BGP Prefix Origin Validation' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:20:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGP Prefix Origin Validation'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate/

Technical Summary

To help reduce well-known threats against BGP including prefix mis-
announcing and monkey-in-the-middle attacks, one of the security
requirements is the ability to validate the origination AS of BGP
routes. More specifically, one needs to validate that the AS number
claiming to originate an address prefix (as derived from the AS_PATH
attribute of the BGP route) is in fact authorized by the prefix
holder to do so. This document describes a simple validation
mechanism to partially satisfy this requirement.

Working Group Summary

There were several revisions (8) of this document, there was a fairly
lengthy discussion in several in-person meetings as well as on-list. In
the end, all of the issues seem to have been dealt with. 

Document Quality

To date, there are 2 implementations in vendor code, one of which
brought about the single IPR claim against this document. 

Personnel

Chris Morrow is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.