Subject: [sidr] BGP capability in draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-06

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 20:18:28 -0800

Hi, folks:

Just noticed that two capabilities are defined in the draft.  They 
actually can and should be combined into one, something like:

                     0   1   2   3        4    5   6   7
                  +---------------------------------------+
                  | Version          |    S    R  Reserved|
                  +---------------------------------------+
                  |                                       |
                  |                 AFI                   |
                  |                                       |
                  +---------------------------------------+

where  S is for sending, and R for receiving.

As you know, the number space for the capability code is only one byte.  
There is no need to waste.

Thanks.   -- Enke

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:47:25 +0900

> actually can and should be combined into one, something like:

[ confeesion: enke, matt, and i discussed this offline and matt and i
  have asked to push to list ]

matt pointed out that, in amsterdam, we went from one cap to two because
sra said don't create cases you do not want to handle, namely the above
with S=R=0

the suggestion now is that it is worth saving the code point and to just
treat that case as if the cap was not received.

what do folk think?

randy

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 20:55:18 -0800

Randy,

I suggest that the case of S=R=0 be treated as if the cap were not 
received.  It's a good deal to save a capability number by a very short 
sentence!

-- Enke

---

From: Jakob Heitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 05:17:16 +0000

capability codes will soon be in short supply. Use a bit set in your capability to indicate the "sub capabilities".

--
Jakob Heitz.

On Dec 6, 2012, at 8:47 PM, "Randy Bush" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> sidr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr