Subject: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:40:39 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing of the IETF.

        Title           : The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) to Router Protocol
        Authors         : Randy Bush
                          Rob Austein
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-08.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2017-01-07

Abstract:
   In order to verifiably validate the origin Autonomous Systems and
   Autonomous System Paths of BGP announcements, routers need a simple
   but reliable mechanism to receive Resource Public Key Infrastructure
   (RFC 6480) prefix origin data and router keys from a trusted cache.
   This document describes a protocol to deliver them.

   This document describes version 1 of the rpki-rtr protocol.  RFC 6810
   describes version 0.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 18:51:09 -0500

With apologies to the WG and our AD for taking so ridiculously long
(deadlines on other projects, but that's no excuse), we have finally
uploaded an updated I-D which we hope deals with most (all?) of the
issues that came up during AD review, as well as a few minor
clarifications and wording tweaks.  No protocol changes, just (we
hope) better description of the protocol.

The one important change here in terms of IETF standardization is that
we've dropped the notion that this document should obsolete RFC 6810.
While Alvaro kindly offered to help us find a twisty path which would
let us write a single document which would both deprecate RFC 6810
(protocol version zero) and also specifying how to downgrade from
version one to version zero, on reflection the authors agreed that
this is not worth the procedural headache.

---

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:51:14 +0000

Rob:

Thanks for the update!  I’m starting the IETF Last Call.

I have two comments that result from not Obsoleting RFC6810:

1.       If this document is not Obsoleting RFC6810, then clarifying the title would avoid confusion from having 2 RFCs with the same name.  My suggestion is to change the title of this document to “The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) to Router Protocol, Version 1”.

2.       The IANA Considerations section is not as prescriptive as it should be, for example: the document says that “Assuming that the registry allows range notation in the Protocol Version field…”, while the rpki-rtr-pdu registry [1] already has a version column (so it does already support version specific details).   For this document, IANA should only deal with Version 1 additions to the registry, so there’s no need to mention version 0 (except for the Type 9 PDU).  I think this should be easy to resolve, and IANA will probably point it our during the Last Call – so let’s wait for their comments and fix the text then.

Alvaro.

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpki/rpki.xhtml#rpki-rtr-pdu

On 1/7/17, 5:51 PM, "sidr on behalf of Rob Austein" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> on behalf of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

_______________________________________________
sidr mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr