Subject: [sidr] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-21: (with COMMENT)

From: "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 08:20:53 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-21: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- I share various people's concerns about the deployability of this
protocol, but I realize this is where the WG ended up after many years of
work so fingers crossed, I guess.

- Fig 2: Shouldn't the signatures in Sig Block 2 have different
identifiers (e.g., X2, Y2) than those in Sig Block 1?

- Sec 6.1: "(likely a small number of years)" -- given how hard these
things are to predict, is it wise to include this text here?

- I was surprised not to see an example message or two in this document.

---

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi (Fed)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:44:46 +0000

Hi Alissa,

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Thank you for your comments. My responses inline below.
I have already made the changes (as noted below) 
in my editor copy of the draft version-22.

>From: Alissa Cooper [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 11:21 AM
…
> - Fig 2: Shouldn't the signatures in Sig Block 2 have 
>different identifiers (e.g., X2, Y2) than those in Sig Block 1?

Good catch. Fixed.

> - Sec 6.1: "(likely a small number of years)" -- given how hard 
>these things are to predict, is it wise to include this text here?

I have removed the phrase in the parentheses.

> - I was surprised not to see an example message or two in this document.

Sean is working together with Oliver and me on providing 
example messages in the draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-algs.
Stephen and Sean agreed that would be a better place and it is happening:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg08288.html 

Regards,
Sriram

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:49:36 -0500

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 12:44, Sriram, Kotikalapudi (Fed) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Oliver has just posted the v4 examples:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sidr/eJdWwuwTHT6DVS-MPbMQh8z6iH8
Probably worth adding an explicit pointer to the examples once we get them agreed by the WG.

spt