Subject: [sidr] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 10:56:17 -0800

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidr-publication-10: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-publication/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I find the document to be a bit short on normative references and some
implementation details. Other than that the document looks fine. My
specific questions and concern are as follows:

1) Please add a normative reference for HTTP, URI and RelaxNG on first
use.

2) Base64 needs a normative reference (including the section number, as
there are 2 variants).

3) Section 2 says that all payloads use CMS. None of your examples show
CMS. Can you please elaborate on how CMS is used.

4) How can URI of the service be discovered?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2.5: is the list of error reasons extensible?

Was Relax NG schema validated with a tool?

In Section 5 you should reference the document, as IANA registrations cut
& pasted to IANA website as separate files.

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:13:20 -0500

[Sorry for delay, was out for a while with a nasty flu, still catching up.]

At Sat, 14 Jan 2017 10:56:17 -0800, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
...

Added, will be in -11

> 2) Base64 needs a normative reference (including the section number, as

Added, will be in -11.

> CMS. Can you please elaborate on how CMS is used.

The short version is already in the running text (section "Protocol
Specification" describes the CMS wrapping).   Not shown in examples
because CMS is, um, rather verbose, and looks like dog food.

A full-blown exposition on use of CMS would look like RFC 6492 section
3.1 ("CMS Profile") and all of its subsections.  Sure you want that?

Should we incorporate RFC 6492 3.1 by reference?

> 4) How can URI of the service be discovered?

Out of scope, but draft-ietf-sidr-oob-setup would be one way.

Probably, given sufficient cause.

> Was Relax NG schema validated with a tool?

Yes, using trang and xmllint.

> & pasted to IANA website as separate files.

Would be happy to do so but does not appear to be on IANA website.
Chicken and egg problem?  Leave for RFC Editor?