Subject: [sidr] Protocol Action: 'The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) to Router Protocol, Version 1' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:28:43 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) to Router Protocol,
   Version 1'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-rfc6810-bis/

Technical Summary

   In order to verifiably validate the origin Autonomous Systems and
   Autonomous System Paths of BGP announcements, routers need a simple
   but reliable mechanism to receive Resource Public Key Infrastructure
   (RFC 6480) prefix origin data and router keys from a trusted cache.
   This document describes a protocol to deliver them.

   This document describes version 1 of the rpki-rtr protocol.  RFC 6810
   describes version 0.

Working Group Summary

   This document adds support for a new PDU to carry router key information, 
   new timing values, and a version negotiation.  As it is an update to a protocol 
   currently in use, the working group discussion was focused on the additional 
   features.

Document Quality

  There are three different implementations of the server side
  of this protocol.  Three router vendors have implemented the
  client side.  Four other implementations of the client side
  are also known.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Chris Morrow
  Responsible Area Director: Alvaro Retana