Subject: [sidr] Protocol Action: 'An Out-Of-Band Setup Protocol For RPKI Production Services' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 13:05:28 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Out-Of-Band Setup Protocol For RPKI Production Services'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-oob-setup/

Technical Summary

   This note describes a simple out-of-band protocol to ease setup of
   the RPKI provisioning and publication protocols between two parties.
   The protocol is encoded in a small number of XML messages, which can
   be passed back and forth by any mutually agreeable secure means.

   This setup protocol is not part of the provisioning or publication
   protocol, rather, it is intended to simplify configuration of these
   protocols by setting up relationships and exchanging keying material
   used to authenticate those relationships.

Working Group Summary

   The protocol described in this document grew out of a series of
   workshops held starting in 2010, at which it became clear that manual
   configuration of keying material and service URLs was both error
   prone and unnecessarily confusing.  The basic mechanism and semantics
   have been essentially unchanged since the earliest versions of the
   protocol, but there were several workshop-driven syntax changes and
   simplifications before the protocol made its way into the IETF, and a
   few more simplifications and minor extensions have occurred since
   that time.

Document Quality

   There is a working implementation.

Personnel

   Shepherd: [email-masked] (Chris Morrow)
   AD: [email-masked] (Alvaro Retana)