Subject: [Sidrops] Protocol Action: 'BGPsec Router Certificate Rollover' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-sidrops-bgpsec-rollover-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:15:33 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGPsec Router Certificate Rollover'
  (draft-ietf-sidrops-bgpsec-rollover-03.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the SIDR Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-bgpsec-rollover/

Technical Summary

    Certificate Authorities (CAs) managing CA certificates and End-Entity
   (EE) certificates within the Resource Public Key Infrastructure
   (RPKI) will also manage BGPsec router certificates.  But the rollover
   of CA and EE certificates BGPsec router certificates have additional
   considerations for Normal and emergency rollover processes.  The
   rollover must be carefully managed in order to synchronize
   distribution of router public keys and BGPsec routers creating BGPsec
   Update messages verified with those router public keys.  This
   document provides general recommendations for the rollover process,
   as well as describing reasons why the rollover of BGPsec router
   certificates might be necessary.  When this rollover process is
   followed the rollover should be accomplished without routing
   information being lost.

Working Group Summary

   As the Document Shepherd says: 
  "This document didn't raise the ire of the WG, which was nice for a change."
  The document was well reviewed. 

Document Quality

   There are existing implementations - the 3 main versions of RPKI supporting software implement this.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Chris Morrow.
   Responsible Area Director: Warren Kumari