Subject: RE: [Simple] collection template: client vs server

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:48:47 -0500

While on the topic of the collection package, it has recently
occured to me that there are two useful modes of collection
that we might want to specify.

1) The UA sends a collection SUBSCRIBE to a server. The server
   uses the request URI to look up the list of resources that
   the collection contains.

2) The UA sends a collection SUBSCRIBE to a server. The
   SUBSCRIBE message itself contains sufficient information
   to identify the resources that the collection will
   represent (e.g. as a list of URIs).

Mode 1 is very useful for, for example, requesting a subscription
to the presence of everyone on a network-stored buddy list.

However, there are times when the application will want to
subscribe a collection of events based on some sort of list
that is far more ephemeral than the sort of information stored
in the network -- such as "the list of users in the current
conference call," or "the group of people who are in the same
city as I am right now."

Does the group see enough value in the second mode of operation
that we should make provisions for it?

/a
_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple