Subject: [Simple] Byte Range in MSRP

From: Avshalom Houri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:54:11 +0200

In the MSRP 09 draft following examples appear:

   MSRP a786hjs2 SEND 
   To-Path: msrp://biloxi.example.com:12763/kjhd37s2s2;tcp 
   From-Path: msrp://atlanta.example.com:7654/jshA7we;tcp 
   Message-ID: 87652 
   Content-Type: text/plain 

   Hey Bob, are you there? 
   -------a786hjs2$ 

   MSRP a786hjs2 200 OK 
   To-Path: msrp://atlanta.example.com:7654/jshA7we;tcp 
   From-Path: msrp://biloxi.example.com:12763/kjhd37s2s2;tcp 
   Message-ID: 87652 
   -------a786hjs2$ 

Note that this format of messages enforces the reader of the messages to 
scan
the messages in order to find the end of the message.

It does not enable an implementation that decides to include byte count in
the message to do so.

Was not there a suggestion to include a Byte-Range (with an option to
put a '*' instead of a range) in every message even messages that
are not chunked?

This way an implementation that wants to start writing to the output
buffer immediately will put "Byte-Range: *-*/*" while an implementation
that wants to put the actual byte count in order to make message reading
more efficient will put "Byte-Range 1-N/N" where N is the size of the 
message.

Avshalom

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Jennings, Cullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:50:38 -0800

Right - this topic has been widely discussed on many previous emails

On 1/18/05 11:54 AM, "Avshalom Houri" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Note that this format of messages enforces the reader of the messages to scan
Yes - this is because of the multiplexing behavior, a message may be split
up mid way through transmission on this - since this is not known when it
starts, you need of scan.

Extensive playing with this has shown that scanning for ------- is just as
fast as coping to memory on every system someone could find

> It does not enable an implementation that decides to include byte count in

The draft does support including a byte count

> put a '*' instead of a range) in every message even messages that

Yes this Byte-Range stuff is all in the 09 version of the draft - and the
stuff below 

> more efficient will put "Byte-Range 1-N/N" where N is the size of the message.
>