Subject: [Simple] About change in authorization policy

From: "Jeffrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:13:50 +0800

Hi all,

I would like to ask a problem about change in authorization policy.
According to RFC 3265, when a presentity grants and then blocks some
watcher, the Notifier must reply to the Subscribe request with the
"Subscription-State" value being "terminated". This subscription will be
also terminated in Notifier. If the presentity unblocks that watcher later
(i.e. change authorization policy for that watcher), how can that watcher
receive the presence information because the original subscription has been
terminated? Is "XCAP Event Package" the best way of solution? (that is when
such change in authorization policy, Notifier inform that watcher to issue a
new Subscribe request.) Are there any other solutions? 

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey Ho
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:13:59 -0500

Jeffrey wrote:
> also terminated in Notifier. If the presentity unblocks that watcher 
> later (i.e. change authorization policy for that watcher), how can that 
> watcher receive the presence information because the original 
> subscription has been terminated? Is "XCAP Event Package" the best way 
> of solution? (that is when such change in authorization policy, Notifier 
> inform that watcher to issue a new Subscribe request.) Are there any 
> other solutions?

I believe the subscription model allows three authorization states for a
watcher: allowed, forbidden, pending.

It is only when the authorization transitions to forbidden that it is
necessary to terminate the subscription. If I put you in that category,
it means I overtly made a decision that I don't want you bothering me.
In that situation, don't hold your breath while waiting for me to change
my mind. Maybe if you talk to me and convince me that you are no longer
such a pest, maybe I will change my mind. Then you can try again, but
you will have to poll until I actually make the change. From my POV this
is a feature.

In principle, I suppose I could move you from allowed to pending when I
get annoyed with you. In that case you could continue to subscribe, but
not get any useful information until I change my mind. But that doesn't
seem like a use case you should count on.

	Paul