Subject: [Simple] MSRP and traversal (was Re: ICE and MSRP)

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:02:52 +0300

Christer,

Le Thursday 27 September 2007 11:14:27 ext Christer Holmberg, vous avez 
écrit :
> Has there been any discussions/studies on how ICE works with MSRP, where
> routing is not done based on SDP m/c/candidate information, but on
> information in the MSRP messages themselves?

At some point in the recent past, there was draft-niemi-simple-msrp-ice: 
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/simple-7.pdf
The draft proposed using ICE-TCP instead of MSRP path routing, but is 
currently expired.

I think the main issue is, contrary to UDP, TCP works pretty terribly if there 
is a NAT or stateful firewall on both sides. At least from Aki's and my 
admittedly limited experiments, whenever "normal" TCP fails due to NAT or 
firewall, TCP "simultaneous open" almost always fails as well :-(

Because of this, I submitted a simpler solution draft, using only COMEDIA 
instead of full ICE-TCP:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-denis-simple-msrp-comedia/

That would at least make MSRP work when one side has a public IP, which is 
hardly worse but much simpler than what draft-niemi-simple-msrp-ice did. 
Bashing^WComments welcome.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple