Subject: Re: [XCON] RE: [Simple] Chatroom Gap Analysis - Media and mode aspects

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:42:12 -0700

On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:01 PM, Gunnar Hellström wrote:

>
> I have started on a document in that direction.
> See:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-textpreview-01.txt

Gunnar, if you have not already done so, you should talk to Paul  
Jones about some things he was looking at to do real time text with  
MSRP - it fits in well with your textpreview draft.

Cullen

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:50:17 +0200

Cullen,
Thanks, 
yes, I have talked with Paul Jones and others about the benefits of making
real-timish text with MSRP.
MSRP does not specify what event should cause transmission. So, it could be
a timer driven transmission just as well as a send button driven
transmission. The receiving and presenting end would just need to know to 

There are also some good features in MSRP that could be of good use to make
sure the users have a synchronized view of the conversation.

People would love to do away with the tensions and risks for confusion
appearing when you try to use message-wise IM for intensive conversations,
by having text appearing gradually and smoothly as it is typed. With a
suitably selected transmission interval it probably does not need to take
more resources than maintaining the status indicator "The other participant
is typing a message" that many IM systems supply today.

Is there an interest to discuss this topic in an own thread SIMPLE?

Gunnar 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
Tel: +46708204288
www.omnitor.se

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:42 AM
To: Gunnar Hellström
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [XCON] RE: [Simple] Chatroom Gap Analysis - Media and mode
aspects

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-textpreview-01.txt

Gunnar, if you have not already done so, you should talk to Paul Jones about
some things he was looking at to do real time text with MSRP - it fits in
well with your textpreview draft.

Cullen

__________ NOD32 2534 (20070917) Information __________

Detta meddelande är genomsökt av NOD32 Antivirus.
http://www.nod32.com

---

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:14:46 +0200

Cullen,  sorry for repetition, I had an unfinished sentence in the response
sent recently.
Thanks, 
yes, I have talked with Paul Jones and others about the benefits of making
real-timish text with MSRP.
MSRP does not specify what event should cause transmission. So, it could be
a timer driven transmission just as well as a send button driven
transmission. The receiving and presenting end would just need to know to
present chunks consecutively until a new line or other end of entry
indicator is received.

Gunnar 

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:42 AM
To: Gunnar Hellström
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [XCON] RE: [Simple] Chatroom Gap Analysis - Media and mode
aspects

Cullen