Subject: Re: [Simple] draft minutes for SIMPLE at IETF72

From: Adrian Georgescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:46:16 +0200

Hello,

1. Noted by another vendor that all current requests are for B2BUA or  
comedia relays, and not MSRP relays.

Comment:

To clarify (the above was aimed at me) the RFPs I received required  
transparent signalling and the MSRP relay was required only for the  
purpose of NAT traversal. The goal was to allow end-points to talk to  
each other and preserve the original end-point session and signalling  
information. So the requirements wanted to have no B2BUAs in the path  
just a transparent SIP Proxy. So we have conflicting stories here.

2. Question: What has changed since the arguments that led us to  
develo MSRP relays? JDR thinks that the initial model of shared TCP  
connections between relays/carriers/enterprises has not developed, so  
people care less about it. We should not be afraid to learn from  
industry experience.

Comment:

During implementation of the MSRPRelay we have discarded the idea of  
sharing TCP connections for multiple MSRP session because it was not  
possible to do end-to-end congestion control for different types of  
MSRP traffic at the same time. This makes the relay less scalable but  
I do not believe is that relevant anymore nowadays. One machine can  
never handle the traffic anyway and an architecture where you have  
more machines working tother is more practical then optimizing session  
in a single box. The standards do not have to be changed to accomodate  
multiple relays to work together like one.

3. Noted that the need for relays has diminished with the increased  
TCPcapacity of modern OS.
Comment:
The above statement does not help traverse NATs so is not a valid  
argument.

Regards,
Adrian

Please review and provide any corrections and comments as soon as you  
can.

Thanks!
RjS

=======================

Minutes - SIMPLE - IETF72

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple