Subject: [Simple] RFC 5264 on Publication of Partial Presence Information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5264

        Title:      Publication of Partial Presence Information 
        Author:     A. Niemi, M. Lonnfors,
                    E. Leppanen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 30594
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-simple-partial-publish-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5264.txt

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for Event State
Publication describes a mechanism with which a presence user agent is
able to publish presence information to a presence agent.  Using the
Presence Information Data Format (PIDF), each presence publication
contains full state, regardless of how much of that information has
actually changed since the previous update.  As a consequence,
updating a sizeable presence document with small changes bears a
considerable overhead and is therefore inefficient.  Especially with
low bandwidth and high latency links, this can constitute a
considerable burden to the system.  This memo defines a solution that
aids in reducing the impact of those constraints and increases
transport efficiency by introducing a mechanism that allows for
publication of partial presence information.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple