Subject: [Simple] RFC 5438 on Instant Message Disposition Notification (IMDN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:42:39 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5438

        Title:      Instant Message Disposition Notification (IMDN) 
        Author:     E. Burger, H. Khartabil
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      38
        Characters: 83723
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-simple-imdn-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5438.txt

Instant Messaging (IM) refers to the transfer of messages between
users in real-time.  This document provides a mechanism whereby
endpoints can request Instant Message Disposition Notifications
(IMDN), including delivery, processing, and display notifications,
for page-mode instant messages.

The Common Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM) data format
specified in RFC 3862 is extended with new header fields that enable
endpoints to request IMDNs.  A new message format is also defined to
convey IMDNs.

This document also describes how SIP entities behave using this
extension.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute