Subject: [Simple] Next changes in draf-ietf-simple-intradomain-federation

From: Avshalom Houri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 23:03:32 +0300

Two issues were raised in the San Francisco meeting regarding 
draft-ietf-simple-
intradomain-federation

Issue A - PUBLISH
-----------------

The document assumes that servers will subscribe to each other. It is also 

possible that when configuration is known a server will publish presence 
information to another server.

Suggested change:

A comment will be added saying that since we deal with presence servers we 

prefer to assume subscription but publish can also be used (if who should 
report 
to whom is known).

Issue B - Policy
----------------

There were two concerns that were raised in the meeting:

Policy - Concern 1: Policy may be inconsistent and would depend on the 
server 
that I am subscribing to. Adam and Ben have raised the issue that the user 
can 
not know for sure what other users will see and it is a security concern.

Policy - Concern 2: Policy as it is described currently in the draft  is 
not 
compatible with common-policy. The draft assumes "and" policy while 
common-
policy allows for other models.

Suggested change is to add text to the draft based on the following:

It seems that a real life solution will be based on a centralized policy 
model 
where there may be different interfaces to the centralized repository and 
decision making to allow for different protocol/usages.
 
Any attempt to assume that users will be able to configure and understand 
what 
will happen in a distributed policy seems to be futile.

So it seems that the centralized policy is the right approach but if there 
is a 
need to use distributed policy, the concerns that were raised should be 
considered.

Comments?

--Avshalom