Subject: [Sip-security] "forking problem"

From: "Dmitri Vinokurov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 04:32:06 +0000

Hello,

The "forking problem" for challenge-response authentication was mentioned in 
many sources. It looks like phone line is splitted inside the residence to 
more that one phones and all of them try to challenge the caller by 
different nonces, but Proxy accepts only the very first 401 response with 
all the ensuing consequences.

Why doesn't Proxy wait X msec after receving first response (if it is 401), 
accept all challenges with the same Call-ID but not more than Y of them 
(say, 8) and compile and send to the caller one composite response as 
forking proxy does.

What is wrong with such approach? And what is the proper generic non-PKI 
solution if any exists? Was is described somewhere?

Thank you.
Dmitri

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Sip-security mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip-security