Subject: [Speechsc] end-pointing

From: Sandeep Sibal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:45:23 -0500

SpeechSC, as I understand it, is intended to be a control protocol that 
has been separated from the media/RTP streams - by design.

While this separation is elegant, it can also be problematic when there 
is a need to align/synchronize the dispatch of SpeechSC control messages 
(e.g., start recognition) with the end-pointing of speech in the audio 
streams generated by push-to-talk systems.

I was wondering if this issue has been already addressed by this group.

BTW, this came up in a discussion on SALT and SpeechSC with Eric, and 
Eric suggested I send this out to the group. Nothing SALT-specific in 
the observation though.

Sandeep.

-- 
Sandeep Sibal
Founder & CTO, Kirusa
+1 908-464-4467 x2000
Mobile: +1 908-416-8500

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: Qiru Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:28:00 -0500

Sandeep,

Separate control from media stream has been practical in many speech
engine implementations, including several popular APIs such as JSAPI
and MS SAPI 4/5. Of course, you need some signaling or events generated
from audio object (the provider of receiver of audio streams for speech
engines) in soft real time. This separation gives more flexibilty for
component based speech engine implementation, but needs some more work
to align/synch the message as you said. Basically, I prefer asynchronized
control verses synchronized speech engine control since it has better
scalability and gives more flexibility for advanced feature implementation
and have better . And you can always synchronize them at higher level for
a synchronized interface.

Please let me know if I addressed your concern or not.

-- Qiru

-- 
==============================================================================
Qiru Zhou                                (http://www.multimedia.bell-labs.com)
Multimedia Technology Research          Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
600 Mountain Avenue, 2D428, Murray Hill, NJ 07974, USA 
tel +1 908 582 4562  | fax +1 908 582 7308  |     [email-masked]
==============================================================================
_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc