Subject: [spfbis] Issue: RFC 4408 ambiguities

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 11:43:34 -0500

Shortly after RFC 4408 was released several SPF implementers collaborated on a 
test suite to validate RFC 4408 conformance.  Through this effort, a number of 
ambiguities were identified in RFC 4408.  These ambiguities are documented as 
comments in the test suite.  Those that were consdidered important for 
interoperability were documented as errata.  Others were not.

The SPF test suite comments should be reviewed for non-errata comments and the 
ambiguity should be resolved or at least documented, since these don't seem to 
have an affect on interoperability, resolution is not essential.

http://www.openspf.net/auth/Test_Suite

As you can see from http://www.openspf.net/Implementations this test suite has 
been used by at least 4 different implementations.  

Additionally, the test suite documents common understanding if defined inputs 
and outputs, so it's a useful resource for the group to resolve any new 
concerns about uncertainty in the spec.

Scott K

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 05:43:00 -0800

>have an affect on interoperability, resolution is not essential.

I suggest that WG participants include comments about the above as 
part of their review of RFC 4408 if they believe that it is relevant.

>http://www.openspf.net/auth/Test_Suite

The above link is not publicly accessible.

As the content of the message was labelled as a RFC 4408 issue, it 
will be tracked as an issue.

I will be opening an issue for each erratum ( 
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4408 ).

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
SPFBIS WG co-chair

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:16:24 -0500

> http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4408 ).

Sorry for using the wrong URL.  It's:

http://www.openspf.net/Test_Suite

Scott K