Subject: [spfbis] Issue: Section 4.1 Check_Host() Arguments - adding RFC4405 Support

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 01:52:28 -0500

This may need a charter change/adjustment, but I would like to 
proposed section 4.1 be updated to support RFC 4405 by adding an 
optional [submitter] argument to the check_host() function model:

     4.1.  Arguments

     The check_host() function takes these arguments:

     <ip>     - the IP address of the SMTP client that is emitting the
                mail, either IPv4 or IPv6.

     <domain> - the domain that provides the sought-after authorization
                information; initially, the domain portion of the "MAIL
                FROM" or "HELO" identity.

|   [submitter] - RFC4409, SUBMITTER keyword passed to the "MAIL FROM"

Our SMTP server does not directly support SENDER-ID. However, our SPF 
implementation indirectly supports SENDER-ID via the RFC4405 SUBMITTER 
keyword, if any. Our SPF check_host() process model is:

     result = check_host(ip, domain [, submitter])

IMO, while we may not to get into SENDER-ID discussions for SPFBIS, 
the WG should not exclude the possibility for any industry support for 
SUBMITTER and it should be discussed as as realistic possibility to be 
part of the check_host() arguments.  If you agree, it should be 
included in updating SPF-BIF.

-- 
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com
http://santronics.blogspot.com