Subject: [spfbis] Issue: Downcase result names in spec text and ABNF

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 21:24:18 -0500

Having result names all lower case is all the rage these days, so we should 
probably downcase our result names.  This doesn't affect interoperability since 
the names are already case insensitive in the ABNF.  It's just a cosmetic 
update.

Scott K

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:13:27 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Scott Kitterman
> Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 6:24 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [spfbis] Issue: Downcase result names in spec text and ABNF
> 
> Having result names all lower case is all the rage these days, so we
> should probably downcase our result names.  This doesn't affect
> interoperability since the names are already case insensitive in the
> ABNF.  It's just a cosmetic update.

I agree, and that would make SPFbis and RFC5451 line up nicely.

---

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 23:20:57 -0500

> the names are already case insensitive in the ABNF.  It's just a cosmetic 

So what are you are suggesting is "follow" what we wrote because I 
think its "prettier?" or maybe its bothering my "eyes" or its the 
"unix wienie" way?

Generally, there are strong ergonomics design principles between 
designers and thinks like "results" are highlighted, and since you 
can't make describe as  BOLD or ITALIC or UNDERLINE or colorize it in 
the spec, one good way is to UPPERCASE it.

So perhaps what is better is to write up something that suggest result 
names are designed to be highlighted in some form.

-1, keep it uppercase.

-- 
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com
http://santronics.blogspot.com

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 03:21:35 -0800

>I agree, and that would make SPFbis and RFC5451 line up nicely.

I don't see anything wrong with the above comment.

I would like to remind this working group that the WG Chairs have 
asked for reviews of RFC 4408.  Discussions or comments about the 
issues should be deferred for now.  The WG Chair will solicit 
comments about each issue in a couple of weeks.  Please be patient.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
SPFBIS WG co-chair