Subject: [spfbis] Document Action: 'Resolution of The SPF and Sender ID Experiments' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:26:43 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Resolution of The SPF and Sender ID Experiments'
  (draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-11.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the SPF Update Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment/

Technical Summary 

In 2006 the IETF published a suite of protocol documents comprising 
SPF and Sender ID, two proposed email authentication protocols with 
Experimental status. After six years, sufficient experience and 
evidence have been collected that the experiments thus created can 
be considered concluded. This document presents those findings. 

Working Group Summary 

The SPFBIS working group had a difficult task ahead as it was not clear 
how to conclude the SPF and Sender ID Experiments and how to address 
the IESG Notes in RFC 4405, RFC4406, RFC4407, and RFC4408. There were 
discussions about how to proceed. Only one proposal was submitted and 
it was adopted by the working group. 

The discussions about the RRTYPE 99 DNS Resource Record were controversial. 
The issue was resolved. There was consensus that Sender ID re-use of 
SPF DNS Resource Records does not have to be called out in the document. 

This document represents a best effort by the SPFBIS working group to 
conclude the experiments which were documented in the above-mentioned 
RFCs. 

Document Quality 

The document does not specify a protocol. The document was reviewed by the 
SPFBIS working group. Barry Leiba, as an individual, and Dave Crocker 
performed a thorough review of the document. 

Personnel 

S. Moonesamy is the Document Shepherd for this document. Pete Resnick 
is the Responsible Area Director.