Subject: [spfbis] RFC 6686 on Resolution of the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) and Sender ID Experiments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:12:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6686

        Title:      Resolution of the Sender Policy 
                    Framework (SPF) and Sender ID Experiments 
        Author:     M. Kucherawy
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 26421
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6686.txt

In 2006, the IETF published a suite of protocol documents comprising
the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) and Sender ID: two proposed email
authentication protocols.  Both of these protocols enable one to
publish, via the Domain Name System, a policy declaring which mail
servers were authorized to send email on behalf of the domain name
being queried.  There was concern that the two would conflict in some
significant operational situations, interfering with message
delivery.

The IESG required all of these documents (RFC 4405, RFC 4406, RFC
4407, and RFC 4408) to be published as Experimental RFCs and
requested that the community observe deployment and operation of the
protocols over a period of two years from the date of publication to
determine a reasonable path forward.

After six years, sufficient experience and evidence have been
collected that the experiments thus created can be considered
concluded.  This document presents those findings.  This document 
is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the SPF Update Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:03:51 -0700

>                     Framework (SPF) and Sender ID Experiments

I would like to thank Murray for the time and effort in getting RFC 
6686 published.  I would also like to thank everyone in the SPFBIS WG 
who reviewed and commented on the document.

Regards
S. Moonesamy (as document shepherd)

P.S. Most of you have seen the trick of the rabbit and the 
hat.  There can be accidents, for example, pulling the rabbit from 
the hat and letting it loose.  Everyone watches the rabbit instead of 
the hat. :-)