Subject: [spfbis] Bug in SPFBIS Charter

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:41:21 -0700

The SPFBIS Charter has the following:

   "Changes to the SPF specification will be limited to the correction
    of errors, removal of unused features, addition of any enhancements
    that have already gained widespread support, and addition of
    clarifying language."

and:

   "Discussion of extensions to the SPF protocols or removal of
    existing features shall only be discussed after completion of
    current charter items in anticipation of rechartering the working
    group."

The working group can remove unused features and it shall not discuss 
about removing existing features.  Is this a bug? :-)

Regards,
-sm

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:47:15 -0700

> about removing existing features.  Is this a bug? :-)
Nice one.

The second part is the bug, I would think.

-MSK

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:13:16 +0200

On Wed 18/Jul/2012 07:47:15 +0200 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>>     The working group can remove unused features and it shall not
>>     discuss about removing existing features.  Is this a bug? :-)
> 
> Nice one.
> 

It's not a bug.  Unused features don't "exist" --by reversing the
ontological argument-- since their mere existence would entail some
kind of use.  We can regard "existing" and "in use" as synonyms :-/

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:45:09 -0400

> kind of use.  We can regard "existing" and "in use" as synonyms :-/

The ontological argument only works for the philosopher's God, and not
for anything else.  As important as I'm sure SPF is, I have pretty
grave doubts that it is the font of being ;-)

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:33:40 -0400

> about removing existing features.  Is this a bug? :-)

I think the second part was intended to be limited to enhancements that don't 
already have widespread support and deletion of used features.

Scott K

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:38:27 -0700

> already have widespread support and deletion of used features.

+1

d/
-- 
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net