Subject: [spfbis] Marking mail on SPF Fail as a requirement

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:34:52 -0700

Hello,

There has been a lot of discussion about marking mail on SPF Fail. I 
read RFC 4408. Quoting from Section 2.5.4:

   "The checking software can choose to mark the mail based on this or
    to reject the mail outright."

It is my understanding that the choice is left to the software in the 
above text.

 From Section 7:

   "It is RECOMMENDED that SMTP receivers record the result of SPF processing
    in the message header."

There is a normative recommendation in the above text to record the 
result of the SPF processing.  I could not find any normative 
requirement to mark mail on SPF Fail.  The topic of marking mail on 
SPF Fail as a requirement is closed.  You can send an objection to 
the mailing list if you believe that there is a normative requirement 
in RFC 4408.  Any other discussion is off-topic.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
SPFBIS WG co-chair