Subject: [spfbis] Focusing on reaching Standards Track

From: "J. Trent Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 16:43:40 -0600

It's great to see this work making it's way toward an important
milestone, and I wanted to toss in my voice of support.

Given the existing, and growing, reliance on SPF by the email anti-abuse
ecosystem, I think it's clear the experiment succeeded in proving the
merit and utility.

The challenge is in how to build on this success.  I looked to the
charter for guidance, and at this point it suggests we restrict our
energies to fine-tuning and to focus on the major goal of moving onto
the standards track.

Going into Atlanta, it seems that we all share the goal of striking the
right balance necessary for the specification to qualify as an IETF
standard.  It's obvious we don't all agree on the specifics for the
fine-tuning (eg. "the great Macros debate" come to mind), but it helps
that we're all on the same page regarding the next big step.

And that's the lens through which I ask whether the -07 version of the
document or the proposed re-organization get's us closer to acceptance
by the IESG as graduating from the "experiment" phase.  Either way, we
should evaluate them in the context of which will advance the work in a
positive direction.

Looking forward to the conversations in Atlanta (albeit remotely).

- Trent

-- 
J. Trent Adams

Profile: http://www.mediaslate.org/jtrentadams/
LinkedIN: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jtrentadams
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jtrentadams