Subject: [spring] WG Adoption Call for draft-previdi-spring-problem-statement-01 section 3

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:03:04 -0700

Alvaro,

Section 3 of draft-previdi-spring-problem-statement-01 still contains
the following:

   "The source-based routing model, applied to the MPLS dataplane, offers
   the ability to tunnel services (VPN, VPLS, VPWS) from an ingress PE
   to an egress PE, without any other protocol than IGPs (ISIS or OSPF).
   LDP and RSVP-TE signaling protocols are not required."

The above claim about the ability to tunnel services "without any
other protocol than IGPs" is misleading, as VPN and VPLS services
may use p2mp LSPs, and neither ISIS nor OSPF provide any capability
for setting up such LSPs.

Moreover, the claim about "LDP and RSVP-TE signaling protocols are
not required" is misleading as well, as p2mp LSPs are signaled using
either mLDP (which is build as an extension to LDP) or RSVP-TE.
Zhenbin(Robin) pointed to this in his e-mail (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spring/current/msg00727.html)

Furthermore, the above claim is incorrect if the ingress and
egress PEs are in different autonomous systems.

Yakov.