Subject: [spring] Question on OSPF Segment routing extensions and IPv6

From: Antoine Fressancourt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:05:17 +0100

Hello,

I have been following this list on Segment routing for some time now, yet
today I dare to write this message because I have a question regarding the
work done on the OSPF routing extension and on IPv6 segment routing use
case.

>From my understanding, IPv6 has been suggested as a dataplane technology
for segment routing in a draft, and some OSPF extensions have been drafted
in order for routers to exchange node or segment IDs. Yet, the OSPF draft
only mentions adaptations to perform to OSPFv2. So, I am wondering if an
extension to OSPFv3 is planned for the next future. As the focus now is on
clarifying the problem statement and use cases, this might be a bit early,
but as extensions have already been suggested for OSPFv2, maybe some
members on the list are already working on this.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Antoine Fressancourt

---

From: Dirk Goethals <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:28:59 +0100

see:

draft-psenak-ospf-segment-routing-ospfv3-extension

Antoine Fressancourt schreef op
21/03/2014 15:05:

Hello,

I have been following this list on Segment routing for some
time now, yet today I dare to write this message because I
have a question regarding the work done on the OSPF routing
extension and on IPv6 segment routing use case.

From my understanding, IPv6 has been suggested as a
dataplane technology for segment routing in a draft, and some
OSPF extensions have been drafted in order for routers to
exchange node or segment IDs. Yet, the OSPF draft only
mentions adaptations to perform to OSPFv2. So, I am wondering
if an extension to OSPFv3 is planned for the next future. As
the focus now is on clarifying the problem statement and use
cases, this might be a bit early, but as extensions have
already been suggested for OSPFv2, maybe some members on the
list are already working on this.

Antoine Fressancourt

_______________________________________________
spring mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spring

---

From: "Stefano Previdi (sprevidi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:31:26 +0000

Originally, sr extensions for v6 have been documented in 
draft-psenak-ospf-segment-routing-ospfv3-extension-01.

However, draft-previdi-6man-segment-routing-header-00 describes how
sr can be used over v6 dataplane and makes no use of explicit SIDs 
anymore (which means you 'could' use sr-ipv6 without any extensions).

Note that recently, with the help of Hannes and Ron, we found out that 
we may still want to advertise some bits in case of the adj-sid for 
ipv6.

s.

On Mar 21, 2014, at 3:05 PM, Antoine Fressancourt wrote:

> 
> Hello,
> 
> I have been following this list on Segment routing for some time now, yet today I dare to write this message because I have a question regarding the work done on the OSPF routing extension and on IPv6 segment routing use case. 
> 
> From my understanding, IPv6 has been suggested as a dataplane technology for segment routing in a draft, and some OSPF extensions have been drafted in order for routers to exchange node or segment IDs. Yet, the OSPF draft only mentions adaptations to perform to OSPFv2. So, I am wondering if an extension to OSPFv3 is planned for the next future. As the focus now is on clarifying the problem statement and use cases, this might be a bit early, but as extensions have already been suggested for OSPFv2, maybe some members on the list are already working on this.
>

---

From: Antoine Fressancourt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 16:11:54 +0100

Hello,

Thanks for your answers, I completely missed
draft-psenak-ospf-segment-routing-ospfv3-extension-01.
I will also have a close look at draft-previdi-6man-segment-
routing-header-00.

Indeed, my idea is to implement a prototype of segment routing in BIRD or
Quagga to perform an experimental evaluation of some of the use cases
described in the working group. I hope that I will be able to share some
progresses on this mailing list soon.

Antoine

2014-03-21 15:31 GMT+01:00 Stefano Previdi (sprevidi) <[email-masked]>:

> > I have been following this list on Segment routing for some time now,
> yet today I dare to write this message because I have a question regarding
> the work done on the OSPF routing extension and on IPv6 segment routing use
> case.
> >