Subject: [spring] IPR in SPRING

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:41:20 -0400

Hi Everyone,

Alvaro recently sent a set of requests to authors to be sure they have disclosed any relevant IPR, and of course they should. In addition, we wanted to take this opportunity to remind the entire WG that the duty of disclosure is NOT limited to authors. Here are some excerpts from RFC 3979 (emphasis added):

   (c) in order for the working group and the rest of the IETF to have
       the information needed to make an informed decision about the use
       of a particular technology, all those contributing to the working
       group's discussions must disclose the existence of any IPR the
       Contributor or other IETF participant believes Covers or may
       ultimately Cover the technology under discussion.  This applies
       to both Contributors and other participants, and applies whether
       they contribute in person, via email or by other means.  The
       requirement applies to all IPR of the participant, the
       participant's employer, sponsor, or others represented by the
       participants, that is reasonably and personally known to the
       participant.  No patent search is required.

RFC 3979 also points out disclosure must be "as soon as reasonably possible":

   The IPR disclosure required pursuant to section 6.1.1 must be made as
   soon as reasonably possible after the Contribution is published in an
   Internet Draft unless the required disclosure is already on file.

(same applies to 6.1.2)

WG participants should be aware of this, review RFC 3979 if not familiar with it, and take this opportunity to bring themselves into compliance if necessary.

Thanks!

--John