Subject: [spring] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement-06.txt> (SPRING Problem Statement and Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 10:10:39 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Source Packet Routing in
Networking WG (spring) to consider the following document:
- 'SPRING Problem Statement and Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement-06.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-01-05. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The ability for a node to specify a forwarding path, other than the
   normal shortest path, that a particular packet will traverse,
   benefits a number of network functions.  Source-based routing
   mechanisms have previously been specified for network protocols, but
   have not seen widespread adoption.  In this context, the term
   'source' means 'the point at which the explicit route is imposed' and
   therefore it is not limited to the originator of the packet (i.e.:
   the node imposing the explicit route may be the ingress node of an
   operator's network).

   This document outlines various use cases, with their requirements,
   that need to be taken into account by the Source Packet Routing in
   Networking (SPRING) architecture for unicast traffic.  Multicast use-
   cases and requirements are out of scope of this document.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.