Subject: [spring] RFC 7855 on Source Packet Routing in Networking (SPRING) Problem Statement and Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 16:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7855

        Title:      Source Packet Routing in Networking 
                    (SPRING) Problem Statement and Requirements 
        Author:     S. Previdi, Ed.,
                    C. Filsfils, Ed.,
                    B. Decraene, S. Litkowski,
                    M. Horneffer, R. Shakir
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 38006
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7855

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7855

The ability for a node to specify a forwarding path, other than the
normal shortest path, that a particular packet will traverse,
benefits a number of network functions.  Source-based routing
mechanisms have previously been specified for network protocols but
have not seen widespread adoption.  In this context, the term
"source" means "the point at which the explicit route is imposed";
therefore, it is not limited to the originator of the packet (i.e.,
the node imposing the explicit route may be the ingress node of an
operator's network).

This document outlines various use cases, with their requirements,
that need to be taken into account by the Source Packet Routing in
Networking (SPRING) architecture for unicast traffic.  Multicast use
cases and requirements are out of scope for this document.

This document is a product of the Source Packet Routing in Networking Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: "Stefano Previdi (sprevidi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 10:02:38 +0000

SPRING’ers,

This is our first rfc. 

Now that we have a problem statement and requirements documents, we know what we have to do ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Thanks.
s.

> On May 26, 2016, at 1:48 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> spring mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spring