Subject: [spring] RFC 8402 on Segment Routing Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:45:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8402

        Title:      Segment Routing Architecture 
        Author:     C. Filsfils, Ed.,
                    S. Previdi, Ed.,
                    L. Ginsberg, 
                    B. Decraene,
                    S. Litkowski, 
                    R. Shakir
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 70094
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8402

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8402

Segment Routing (SR) leverages the source routing paradigm.  A node
steers a packet through an ordered list of instructions, called
"segments".  A segment can represent any instruction, topological or
service based.  A segment can have a semantic local to an SR node or
global within an SR domain.  SR provides a mechanism that allows a
flow to be restricted to a specific topological path, while
maintaining per-flow state only at the ingress node(s) to the SR
domain.

SR can be directly applied to the MPLS architecture with no change to
the forwarding plane.  A segment is encoded as an MPLS label.  An
ordered list of segments is encoded as a stack of labels.  The
segment to process is on the top of the stack.  Upon completion of a
segment, the related label is popped from the stack.

SR can be applied to the IPv6 architecture, with a new type of
routing header.  A segment is encoded as an IPv6 address.  An ordered
list of segments is encoded as an ordered list of IPv6 addresses in
the routing header.  The active segment is indicated by the
Destination Address (DA) of the packet.  The next active segment is
indicated by a pointer in the new routing header.

This document is a product of the Source Packet Routing in Networking Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC