Subject: [spring] Final? design team charge

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 12:24:06 -0400

Having gotten various volunteers, and considered what the WG needs, the 
SPRING chairs have selected the design team for clarifying the SR over 
IPv6 compression situation.

The Design team will be
Co-Chaired by:
     Cheng Weiqiang of China Mobile and
     Sanders Steffann of SJM Steffann Consultancy

The other members of the team are:
     Ron Bonica of Juniper
     Darren Dukes of Cisco
     Cheng Li of Huawei
     Peng Shaofu of ZTE
     Wim Henderickx of Nokia
     Chongfeng Xie of China Telecom

(We understand that some members may be on vacation.  We ask the chairs 
to please get the design team up and running as fast as possible, and 
deal with vacations as necessary.)

The design team is to produce (rough) consensus (of the DT) outputs to 
the WG on two related topics:
1) What are the requirements for solutions to compressing segment 
routing information for use over IPv6;
2) A comparison of proposed approaches to compressing segment routing 
information for use over IPv6.

In both cases, assertions / requirements should be explicitly explained 
and motivated.  Please do not assume that everyone has the same 
perspective or assumptions.

We expect these results to take the form of Internet Drafts.  How the 
design team does the development is up to them.  Note that while we are 
asking for I-Ds, we are not assuming that these results will be 
published as RFCs.  When the working group has progressed, we will see 
if there is agreement as to the value of long term publication of this 
material.
Also, as a reminder to both the design team and the working group, the 
design team output is input to the working group.  It is not presumed to 
be a WG document until the WG actually adopts it.

If the design team has insights into the number of solutions (are 
several already standardized?  is there value in picking one / some?) 
this may be included in the requirements readout.  If the design team 
can not agree, or does not think it is helpful to report this aspect, 
that is also acceptable to the chairs.

While the chairs would like to see prompt work, we also want to see a 
thorough job done on this task.  As such, we value quality of result 
over time.  While there is some pressure, we ask that the design team 
focus on reaching clear and useful agreements.  Thus, we are not asking 
for any readout by IETF 108.  As a target, we would like to see a draft 
to the WG by September 15, 2020.

If the design team makes enough progress that they have questions they 
would like the WG to discuss at IETF 108, please let us know.

Yours,
Bruno, Jim, and Joel

---

From: Sander Steffann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 23:09:38 +0200

Hi Joel,

>     Sanders Steffann of SJM Steffann Consultancy

Minor typo in my first name (Sander) but no harm done :)

>     Chongfeng Xie of China Telecom

Is there any requirement on how to organize this team? Would the WG
Chairs and ADs like to see an archived mailing list of the discussions,
or is that entirely up to us?

In any case: hello team! Please reply to me off-list with the email
address you would like to use for design team discussions so I know how
to reach you.

Cheers,
Sander

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 17:32:33 -0400

Team organization and operation is up to the team.
In the abstract, having an archive would be good, but if you feel it 
will interfere with the work, then so be it.
We can ask the ADs for support if you want an archived email list.

Yours,
Joel

PS: Sorry about the typo on your name.

---

From: "Weiqiang Cheng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 22:48:38 +0800

Thanks a lot to Joel and other Chairs.

Hi Sanders and team,
It is very nice to work together with you all. 
It seems possible and useful to apply for an archived email list.
Let's get started.

B.R.
Weiqiang Cheng

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: spring [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Joel Halpern
发送时间: 2020年7月8日 00:24
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: [spring] Final? design team charge

The Design team will be
Co-Chaired by:

Yours,
Bruno, Jim, and Joel

_______________________________________________
spring mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spring