Subject: [Status] SDN state reduction with Source Routing - draft-ashwood-sdnrg-state-reduction-00.txt

From: AshwoodsmithPeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 15:31:34 +0000

FYI - relevant to STATUS and SDN IRTF.

Cheers,

Peter

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : SDN State Reduction
	Author(s)       : Peter Ashwood-Smith
                          Mourad Soliman
                          Tao Wan
	Filename        :	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2013-07-03

Abstract:
   This document makes the argument that to support the centralized
   control of a substantial number of forwarding devices (as Software
   Defined Networking (SDN) proposes) that the scale, speed, cost and
   general quality of such a solution will be improved by reducing
   the state needed to be distributed into the network of devices by
   the controller(s). To this end we re-visit forms of Source Routing
   (SR), in particular Strict Link Source Routing (SLSR) and suggest
   that light weight SLSR could allow substantial reduction in
   controller burden while potentially reducing the costs/complexity
   on forwarding devices. We discuss some simulation results that
   demonstrate these advantages and how the advantages grow
   substantially as the network diameter grows. We also look at
   various implementation possibilities including existing IPV4, V6,
   MPLS, new/modified MPLS vs. something brand new that could
   possibly be implemented with new SDN technology like Protocol
   Oblivious Forwarding-POF.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ashwood-sdnrg-state-reduction

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ashwood-sdnrg-state-reduction-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt