
From nobody Wed Nov  4 16:46:30 2015
Return-Path: <mahoney@nostrum.com>
X-Original-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 74F031B2CB2 for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed,  4 Nov 2015 16:46:25 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.91
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.91 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 4rhB5UMda_CO for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed,  4 Nov 2015 16:46:22 -0800 (PST)
Received: from nostrum.com (raven-v6.nostrum.com [IPv6:2001:470:d:1130::1]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E243C1B2CCE for <stir@ietf.org>; Wed,  4 Nov 2015 16:46:22 -0800 (PST)
Received: from dhcp-85-14.meeting.ietf94.jp (t20010c40000030806496a606255f717e.v6.meeting.ietf94.jp [IPv6:2001:c40:0:3080:6496:a606:255f:717e]) (authenticated bits=0) by nostrum.com (8.15.2/8.14.9) with ESMTPSA id tA50kLih077589 (version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128 verify=NO) for <stir@ietf.org>; Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:46:22 -0600 (CST) (envelope-from mahoney@nostrum.com)
X-Authentication-Warning: raven.nostrum.com: Host t20010c40000030806496a606255f717e.v6.meeting.ietf94.jp [IPv6:2001:c40:0:3080:6496:a606:255f:717e] claimed to be dhcp-85-14.meeting.ietf94.jp
To: stir@ietf.org
From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>
Message-ID: <563AA6DC.9090002@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:46:20 +0900
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/stir/1Iz7-BzbTunSBx3Tzc9cGNezQis>
Subject: [stir] stir 94 meeting notes - cleaned up
X-BeenThere: stir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited <stir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/stir/>
List-Post: <mailto:stir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 00:46:25 -0000

Hi all,

My cleaned up notes are below. I'll send raw notes in a separate email.

Thanks,

Jean


STIR: IETF 94: Monday 1300-1500

---------------------------------------------------------
10m Administrivia

Presenters: Chairs
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-0.pdf

Jabber scribe: Daniel Burnett (1st hour), Cullen Jennings
Jabber log: http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/stir/2015-11-02.html
Note takers: Jean Mahoney, Steve Donovan

Note well and agenda were presented. No changes to the agenda.


---------------------------------------------------------
20m Report from design team discussions

Presenter: Sean Turner
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-1.pdf

No comments or questions were raised.


---------------------------------------------------------
30m draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis

Presenter: Jon Peterson
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-3.pdf


On the question raised on Slide 4 - The Bare Minimum: Is there a need 
for a “switch” to signify using PAI? Jon pointed out that currently 
there is no such thing, but it has been working since PAI was first 
introduced.

Chris Wendt agreed in general that it works as-is, and it would be 
simpler to keep the logic the same.

Richard Barnes raised a concern about having to verify every PAI in 
every combo. Dave Crocker said that the validator wouldn't know which 
choice was made by the signer. Jon asked for more eyes on the draft.

Cullen pointed out that the From and PAI carry the same information. He 
was also fine with leaving as-is.

Jon raised a concern about the modification by SBCs of the Date header 
field and asked if there were any examples of such behavior.

Cullen said that he had seen SBCs accidentally modifying the Date. Since 
Date is almost never modified, it makes a useful debugging tool.

Sean Turner said that Date modification seems like a surface for an attack.

Jim McEachern said that call forwarding may modify the Date.

Jon said some behaviors are not compatible with an end-to-end security 
system, but if the Date had only been tweaked a little bit there were 
strategies for handling it without re-signing.


slide 5: The Bare Minimum

Adam asked for clarifications. Jon said that the JSON header and claims 
were optional since they would make the message larger and he wanted to 
discourage that.

[ajm: missed most of the exchange between Jon and Adam regarding knowing 
verifier handling of optional contents beforehand.]

Jon asked the room is anyone was uncomfortable with JWT.

Robert Sparks, as an individual, had no problem with it.

Sean agreed with it and wanted to move on. Chris reiterated that JWT 
could be used for other purposes.

Jon said that, although SBCs are not defined and have broad powers, we 
want to get through them and need to decide what will work for 
deployment environments that we care about.

Chris said that it would be easy to update SBCs.


slide 6: Multiple Identity Signatures

Russ Housley from floor supported multiple identity signatures, and 
pointed out that email went through a transition from one to multiple 
signatures caused by the transition from SHA-1 to SHA-256, and that 
there could be text that could be reused.

Jon said that "spec" parameter would allow for signing different fields 
for use in authorization, but we would not specify how the authorization 
decision is made.

Jon talked about a transitive approach to security, where you don't 
trust the endpoint but you trust the intermediary.


slide 7: Handling Metadata

Richard Barnes mentioned a specification that could be used instead of 
separate grammars. Jon wanted a pointer to that draft.


slide 8: Extensibility

Size of the message was discussed, and Adam wondered what was sensitive 
to it. Robert pointed out that the size was still an order of magnitude 
lower than an SDP negotiation. Jon said that there were implementations 
that could not handle really large headers. Robert said that the issue 
had not been seen at SIPit for many years. Chris said that since UDP is 
used, it's valid to keep the headers as small as possible, but he didn't 
know if it was a showstopper.

Jon asked what the appropriate IANA policy would be for this. JWT 
extensibility's IANA policy is expert-review with specification. He 
didn't see how we could be less constrained than that.

Dave Crocker pointed out that DKIM's signature lists the fields it has 
hashed. Jon said that is what the first option offers.

Adam said that JWT supports private use, but it would be nice to have 
the information collected somewhere.

Richard pointed out that if you require the verifier to understand the 
field, then you get stuck in lockstep upgrades.

Jon clarified that the 1st option covered adding just one or two new 
fields. The second option solves a different problem that may not be 
specified in the IETF, but the people wanting to solve that problem want 
to use the baseline mechanism. Jon didn't think it was ideal, but he 
would not say no.

Pete Resnick suggested making it a FCFS registry, with an optional 
specification, and the IETF will use the specification. Cullen wanted to 
know why they did not want FCFS. Jon said that the arguments against it 
are that the specs should not be public, and IETF interoperability 
constraints don't apply. Cullen said that if those were the arguments, 
then "spec" should be removed. Jon said that with "spec", you don't have 
to include canon and make the message huge. For JWT, you have to include 
canon, which is why both have their place. Alissa Cooper said don't 
pervert it for people who don't want to do follow process. They can just 
do it.

ACTION: Discuss IANA policy on list.


slide 9: We Have the Technology

Jon asked the working group if it was OK with having a separate WG item 
on the token that would be Proposed Standard.

Sanjay said that two docs provides more flexibility. Sean and Chris were 
fine with it.


slide 10: Next Steps

Jon will revise the draft.

ACTION: Sean, Chris, Richard to review updated draft.
ACTION: find reviewers on list.



slide 11: The job of non-SIP transports

Jon pointed out this was not in charter and it needed more discussion.

Adam wanted to use this in RTCweb in the future.

Jon would be happy to work on it and set up a design team.


slide 12: Not So SIP specific

Jon asked that, if anyone had a problem, to please talk to them.


---------------------------------------------------------
60m draft-ietf-stir-certificates
Presenter: Sean Turner
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-2.pdf


slide 6: Ultimate Requirement Questions

Jon said that the first question was a policy question. Richard said 
that the slide was one question in four forms. Cullen wasn't sure what 
to make of the questions, and that if the members of club were decided 
by the FCC, the IETF could only provide technology in supporting that club.

Sanjay said that, on the last point, you need to be able to trace the 
call back.

Russ from floor said that we were specifying a trust store but not what 
was in it, that people will populate the store differently.

Richard said that it was not a technical decision. Build a scalable 
infrastructure to deal with it.


slide 7: Transitive Trust vs Intransitive Trust

Jon said that it's unclear how great the value is since we already have 
ways to determine if the previous hop vouched for the call. The 
difference is that you can see past the previous hop.

Chris said that the slide is implying that the call can only go between 
carriers, but the call will be going through multiple hops and untrusted 
networks.

Jon wondered what you would get with using the PAI, but Chris said no 
one is saying that PAI should be trusted no matter what. Jon said that 
last-hop security was not much better than relying on PAI.

Jon asked if we should detect abuse in realtime or just in audit.

ACTION: Discuss transitive vs intransitive trust on the mailing list.


slide 8: Public or Confidential Credentials?

Jon said that 2 years ago, there were concerns that the subject would 
leak information, but the right way to manage certs is antithetical to 
those concerns.

Chris pointed out there is some risk of leaking information no matter 
what you do with the credentials.

Sean recommended that implementations be allowed to pick their pain 
threshold.


slide 9: Certs for OCN

Jon explained that OCNs may help alleviate leakage concerns.

Richard said there were tradeoffs with cert size, and that there were 
issues with OCSP latency.

Brian Rosen said that OCN doesn't fix the problem and asked how to get 
the assignments to those operators that don't have OCNs.

Chris wanted flexibility.


slide 10: Other Transitive Approaches

Jon and Chris saw some promise here, and Chris said there should be some 
semantics here.



slide 11: So what now?

Sean and Jon want a design team call on certs.

Chris wanted to start out simple with carrier certs and then go from there.

ACTION: Sean Turner to set up a design meeting on certs.

Russ said that the syntax and semantics of the signature should be 
nailed down so that we know what the requirements for the cert are.

Jon said that the FCC has created a timeline for this, and he wants an 
LC as soon as possible.

ACTION: Jon to bring up Date concerns on mailing list to ensure that it 
is not a blocker.

Robert recapped major actions:
- Revise 4474bis draft between now and the end of November.
- Adopt the token draft as a stir doc.
- Start the LC process on 4474bis at end of November.
- Hold a design team discussion in mid December on certs.


From nobody Wed Nov  4 16:47:46 2015
Return-Path: <mahoney@nostrum.com>
X-Original-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 9310E1B3508 for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed,  4 Nov 2015 16:47:44 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.91
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.91 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id H7hBhocfM7dv for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed,  4 Nov 2015 16:47:41 -0800 (PST)
Received: from nostrum.com (raven-v6.nostrum.com [IPv6:2001:470:d:1130::1]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 960491B2CB2 for <stir@ietf.org>; Wed,  4 Nov 2015 16:47:41 -0800 (PST)
Received: from dhcp-85-14.meeting.ietf94.jp (t20010c40000030806496a606255f717e.v6.meeting.ietf94.jp [IPv6:2001:c40:0:3080:6496:a606:255f:717e]) (authenticated bits=0) by nostrum.com (8.15.2/8.14.9) with ESMTPSA id tA50ldoB077690 (version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128 verify=NO) for <stir@ietf.org>; Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:47:40 -0600 (CST) (envelope-from mahoney@nostrum.com)
X-Authentication-Warning: raven.nostrum.com: Host t20010c40000030806496a606255f717e.v6.meeting.ietf94.jp [IPv6:2001:c40:0:3080:6496:a606:255f:717e] claimed to be dhcp-85-14.meeting.ietf94.jp
To: stir@ietf.org
From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>
Message-ID: <563AA72B.5060205@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:47:39 +0900
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/stir/1ZB2K_hMxVGIjXQZVdQKg1WAUIg>
Subject: [stir] stir 94 meeting notes - raw
X-BeenThere: stir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited <stir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/stir/>
List-Post: <mailto:stir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 00:47:44 -0000

And below are my raw notes. Ellipses (...) show where I missed stuff.

Thanks,

Jean


STIR: IETF 94: Monday 1300-1500

---------------------------------------------------------
10m Administrivia

Presenters: Chairs
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-0.pdf

Jabber scribe: Daniel Burnett (1st hour), Cullen Jennings
Note takers: Jean Mahoney, Steve Donovan

Note well and agenda were presented. No changes to the agenda.


---------------------------------------------------------
20m Report from design team discussions

Presenter: Sean Turner
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-1.pdf

No comments or questions were raised.


---------------------------------------------------------
30m draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis

Presenter: Jon Peterson
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-3.pdf

slide 1: Title

slide 2: New Questions about Syntax

slide 3: A Compromise Position

slide 4: The Bare Minimum

Jon - Is there anyone who thinks there needs to be a switch to indicate 
using PAI?

Chris Wendt - I agree in general. From a normative perspective any 
concern with the generality. If they're a service provider network, they 
look at PAI.

Richard Barnes - ... verify twice. ...

Jon - there's multiple PAI headers.

Richard - have to verify every PAI in every combo.

Jon - you already know what you need to use. It's the way it works 
today, and for 15 years.

Cullen - it's fine. It's often the same thing in both headers.

Jon - it will canonicalize to the same value.

Chris  - ... simpler to keep logic the same as it is today.

Dave Crocker, from Jabber room - "Probably"?  So the validator of the 
signature won't know which choice was made by the signer? "Verify twice" 
is an approach to guessing.  Guessing is not typically considered valid 
in interoperable protocol specifications.  The specs need to be 
deterministic.

Jon - supposed to ... deterministically. I appreciate eyes on the draft 
to make sure we don't botch it.

Jon - the SBC could modify the Date header field. Date plays an enormous 
role. If there are transit networks that will modify the Date, I want to 
know.

Cullen Jennings - We had SBCs accidentally modify the Date. Keeping Date 
unmodified is one of the best debugging tools.

Jon - pics or it didn't happen.

Sean Turner - it seems like a surface for an attack.

Jon - yes, you can reply at the later time.

Jim McEachern, from Jabber room - isn't call forwarding another case 
where the time could be modified by something other than the SBC?

Jon - if acting as a b2bua, yes, the new message would have a new date. 
But there are some things that are not compatible with an e2e security 
system. Absent the cut n paste protection, voice mail protection goes 
out the window. There are strategies that we can use to handle the Date 
being tweaked a little bit.

Chris - It would have to be re-signed.

Jon - no. However if people are really mucking - but someone explain to 
me who would do this.

Chris - the concern was about b2bua, and keeping signature valid through 
them.

Jon - ...


slide 5: The Bare Minimum

Adam Roach - are we caring about the assertions?

Jon - yes but optional. It will make the message larger and want to 
discourage that.

Adam - need to know a priori that it will happen.

Jon - correct you can't anticipate how a verifier will handle it.

Adam - this will ...

Jon - there's a good tradeoff on message size vs ...

Jon - this isn't different than what we were doing in the draft. It's 
what we've all been signing. Just a change of syntax. Anyone 
uncomfortable with it?

Robert Sparks - personally have no problem.

Sean - if we're all in agreement, let's just move on

Chris - the benefit is using JWT for other purposes.

Robert - I didn't see any response on the Date question. Let's move 
ahead unless someone screams.

Jon - SBCs are not defined and have broad powers, and we want to get 
through them. Need to decide what will work for deployment environments 
that we care about.

Chris - the point Adam was making. If you want to participate in 
ecosystem, it is easy to update your SBC.

Robert  - if the SBC cannot be differentiated from the attacker ...


slide 6: Multiple Identity Signatures

Russ from floor - we went through this with email, and SMIME only 
supported 1 signature. Transitioning from SHA-1 to SHA-256 caused this. 
This is something we need. The algorithms were different but the 
semantics were the same. Are the semantics different for some cases? If 
not, we can borrow text.

Jon - ... People have a spec that would allow you sign a very different 
set. Like a superuser of the network, authorizing the call. We don't 
specify how the authorization decision is made.

Jon - don't trust the endpoint but trust the intermediary. It's a 
transitive approach to security. there a multiple use cases where spec 
can be useful.


slide 7: Handling Metadata

Do people understand this?

Barnes - I should read the draft. Instead of separate grammars, use the 
specification...

Jon - point me at the draft.


slide 8: Extensibility

Adam - we're focusing on size - what's sensitive to it?

Jon - 700-800 bytes for encoding without spec.

Robert - that's an order of magnitude lower than an SDP negotiation.

Cullen - What you see with a video call at SIPit is not the same as 
carrier phones. If your message gets too large to handle, maybe you 
weren't handling it correctly.

Jon - if you pull out the header and claims, it's 100 bytes. There are 
people who are adamant about using UDP. I've heard of implementations 
that will barf if headers are really large.

Robert - haven't seen it for many years.

Chris - people are clinging to UDP. It's valid to keep it as small as 
possible... Don't know if it's a showstopper.

Jon - what's the change then?

Chris - it's good to have the option of both.

Andrew Allan - ...

Jon - UDP limits are more forgiving than most think.

Jon - What's an appropriate IANA policy for this? If you read the JWT 
extensibility, it is expert-review with spec. I don't see that we'll 
will get a less constrained policy than that.

Dave - DKIM's signature lists the fields it has hashed.

Jon - that's what the first option offers. ...

Adam - JWT talks about some of these being private use. Would that 
approach address their use cases? People who are using this, would be 
nice to have it collected somewhere,

Jon - ...

Richard - if you require the verifier to understand the field, then you 
get stuck in lock step upgrades.

Jon - 1st option... The point is, if you're adding by onesies-twosies, 
you use the first option. If you want to solve a different problem, we 
won't specify it in the IETF, but they want to use the baseline 
mechanism. It's not ideal for me, but I won't say no.

Pete Resnick - why not make it a FCFS registry, with an optional 
specification, and the IETF will use the specification.

Jon - I'd have to think about the trades offs.

Richard - FCFS is not inconsistent

Jon - there's 2 approaches here. 1st one - bare minimum and add a little 
thing to it, if don't understand it, that's ok. But the 2nd is for 
something different.

Richard - ...

Cullen - I haven't heard why they can't deal with FCFS.

Jon - I'll channel the views of those who are not here - The specs 
should not be public. IETF interoperability constraints don't apply. If 
you don't ...

Cullen - if that's it, then the spec should be removed.

Jon - I can image uses of spec, it's in Sean's certs presentation. ... I 
want that to be interoperable. With spec, you don't have to include 
canon and make the message huge. For JWT, you have to include canon. 
Which is why both have their place.

Alissa - don't pervert that for people who don't want to do follow 
process. They can just do it. No reason to pervert a legit use of this.

Robert - we're in dead horse territory.

Jon - If we took a hum, the room would show consensus ... but on the list -

Robert - we can take this to list. I don't think we'll see a hard push 
against FCFS.

ACTION: Discuss IANA FCFS on list.


slide 9: We Have the Technology

Jon - OK with the WG to have a separate WG item on the token? It would 
be Proposed Standard.

Sanjay - 2 docs provides more flexibility.

Sean - I'm fine with it. The 2 people involved in the compromise are 
working on it. Can't we just do it?

Chris - I'm fine with it.


slide 10: Next Steps

Jon - I need to do one more rev, and then we need reviewers.

Robert - ACTION: find reviewers on list.

volunteers: Sean, Chris, Richard


slide 11: The job of non-SIP transports

Jon - Not in charter, need to discuss more. May want to have a call.

Adam - long term, I would like to use this in RTCweb. Don't need to hold 
this up though. If you move to JWT, it becomes elegant. PSTN GW working 
with other protocol. The ability to carry this into the browser would be 
valuable.

Jon - I'll be happy to work with you. Setup a design team on this.

slide 12: Not So SIP specific

Jon - if you have a problem, talk to us.

---------------------------------------------------------
60m draft-ietf-stir-certificates
Presenter: Sean Turner
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-2.pdf

slide 1: Title

slide 2: No New Version

slide 3: What is the STIR certs draft?

slide 4: In-band STIR logical architecture

slide 5: Is there another way?

Jon - we think there are many approaches, they aren't exclusive.

Sean - we're open to input.

slide 6: Ultimate Requirement Questions

Sean - is there anyone who doesn't think the calls should not be 
verifiable on the Internet?

Chris - is that a policy question or tech question

Jon - it's a policy question. Do you want to trust someone with whom you 
have no previous association?

Chris - that's a different question.

Richard - The 2nd question subsumes the first.

Russ from floor - what you are asking is, how are we doing trust ...

Jon - are we going to create systems that constrain...

Richard - one question in 4 forms. How could the answer be no and it 
being ... (something about using keys)

Cullen - I don't know what to make of these questions. If the membership 
of the club is allocated by FCC, we can only provide technology that 
could support that club.

Chris - could boil the question down to, does X 509 work or not?

Sanjay - on your last point, you need to be able to trace the call back.

Russ from floor - to Cullen - there is a trust store, people will 
populate it differently. We can specify the trust store, not what's in it.

Richard - it's not a tech decision. Build a scaleable infrastructure to 
deal with it.


slide 7: Transitive Trust vs Intransitive Trust

Jon - it's unclear how great the value is. It's only saying the previous 
hop vouched for this. We have ways to determine this. Not sure what the 
difference between PAI and when the environment is the small community 
of carriers that trust each other. The difference is that you can see 
past the previous hop.

Chris - It's implying it can only go between carriers. It will be going 
through multiple hops and untrusted networks.

Jon - assume that you are using PAI, what do you get with that? If I 
trust the sender...

Chris - no one is saying that PAI should be trusted no matter what.

Jon - it's your relationship with the carriers you know. It's 
effectively translated. If you discover call was abusive, you can take 
it to Comcast. Should we detect in realtime or just in audit. It's for 
accountability not for realtime.

Chris - I don't think anyone is advocating that.. . unless I'm confused 
by the slide.

Jon - using 4474bis, provides just last hop security not much better 
than PAI.

Chris - that's a new conversation.

Sean - can take to list.

ACTION:

slide 8: Public or Confidential Credentials?

Jon - 2 years ago, there were concerns that the subject would leak 
information. The right way to manage certs (I'm AT&T) is antithetical to 
concerns expressed 2 years ago.

Chris - if you are tying yourself to public keys you are exposing 
something.

Sean - you can have lots of certs, you can leave it blank, lots of ways 
to do it.

Chris - there's some risk of leaking no matter what you do.

Sean - allow implementations to pick their pain threshold.

slide 9: Certs for OCN

Jon explains  - OCNs are carrier ids, may help alleviate leakage concerns.

Richard - trade off between cert size and ... OCSP latency is not up to 
snuff. We're shoving more stuff in the first message we get.

Brian Rosen - OCN doesn't fix the problem. How do get the assignments to 
those guys that don't have those?

Chris - As long as there's flexibility.

slide 10: Other Transitive Approaches

Jon - there's some promise here. ... Tools that verifiers will have...

Chris - I agree with that - there should be some semantics.

Sean - otherwise you don't know what it is.

Chris - but don't go nuts with semantics.

Jon - ...

slide 11: So what now?

Sean - I didn't know about the timeline. Have a design team call.

Jon - need a design team call on certs.

Chris - from our perspective, we want to start out simple with carrier 
certs. Go from there.

Sean - ACTION - Setup a design meeting.

Russ - nail down syntax and semantics of the sig are so we know what the 
requirements for the cert are.

Jon - the FCC has created a timeline for this. I want a LC as soon as 
possible. Make sure that this Date thing is not a blocker.

Chris - ... escape options?

Robert - 5 minutes. Recap: Between now and end of Nov - rev of the 
4474bis draft. The token doc as a stir doc. Start a LC process on 
4474bis at end of Nov. Design team discussion in mid December on certs.


From nobody Thu Nov  5 08:44:35 2015
Return-Path: <richard@shockey.us>
X-Original-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id C89B61B3095 for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Thu,  5 Nov 2015 08:44:33 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: 1.033
X-Spam-Level: *
X-Spam-Status: No, score=1.033 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_50=0.8, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, IP_NOT_FRIENDLY=0.334, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 3CmTakDKiZYU for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Thu,  5 Nov 2015 08:44:30 -0800 (PST)
Received: from qproxy2.mail.unifiedlayer.com (qproxy2-pub.mail.unifiedlayer.com [69.89.16.161]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 0FD291B308D for <stir@ietf.org>; Thu,  5 Nov 2015 08:44:28 -0800 (PST)
Received: (qmail 13856 invoked by uid 0); 5 Nov 2015 16:44:26 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO cmgw2) (10.0.90.83) by qproxy2.mail.unifiedlayer.com with SMTP; 5 Nov 2015 16:44:26 -0000
Received: from box462.bluehost.com ([74.220.219.62]) by cmgw2 with  id dsQH1r00X1MNPNq01sQLmW; Thu, 05 Nov 2015 09:24:25 -0700
X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=Jv9i8qIC c=1 sm=1 tr=0 a=jTEj1adHphCQ5SwrTAOQMg==:117 a=jTEj1adHphCQ5SwrTAOQMg==:17 a=cNaOj0WVAAAA:8 a=f5113yIGAAAA:8 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=MKtGQD3n3ToA:10 a=1oJP67jkp3AA:10 a=ZZnuYtJkoWoA:10 a=8WrITzYgnNwA:10 a=YQA3agX6zLcA:10 a=qtqOOiqGOCEA:10 a=ll-iCDY8AAAA:8 a=JtHPKIVgiei2MyRAiRcA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=ivbTfD_dPm4A:10 a=YeG65AgvWToA:10
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=shockey.us;  s=default;  h=Content-transfer-encoding:Content-type:Mime-version:Message-ID:To:From:Subject:Date; bh=1INCeT5KFP5um289FzODvwA8cPThSzgI2C3qIIMowkE=;  b=ZGGVLvJ/bZMep9MC+Kav5a79FRLcN3M6qAiYBSW+rRFonhPC3AvcEmmD2LlBx7nhOy1OiZB9ff95gOTX7iResKFBUu0Q9hyiIyyLkMur5P8fG5d0JA8ornAoFzppXPhb;
Received: from [100.36.26.202] (port=53305 helo=[192.168.1.10]) by box462.bluehost.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.84) (envelope-from <richard@shockey.us>) id 1ZuNKk-0007ix-Su for stir@ietf.org; Thu, 05 Nov 2015 09:24:19 -0700
User-Agent: Microsoft-MacOutlook/0.0.0.151008
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:24:11 -0500
From: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
To: <stir@ietf.org>
Message-ID: <A41D9484-4DDC-472E-882B-FCF8D1556975@shockey.us>
Thread-Topic: [stir] stir 94 meeting notes - raw One immediate comment on IANA issues.
Mime-version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
X-Identified-User: {3286:box462.bluehost.com:shockeyu:shockey.us} {sentby:smtp auth 100.36.26.202 authed with richard+shockey.us}
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/stir/d21mDXaQe1Rl71dZB2eEfQEr-Fw>
Subject: Re: [stir] stir 94 meeting notes - raw One immediate comment on IANA issues.
X-BeenThere: stir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited <stir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/stir/>
List-Post: <mailto:stir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 16:44:34 -0000

FCFS. Period.=20

Expert Review IMHO is a non starter.=20

I=E2=80=99ll have more when I can digest the notes.



=E2=80=94=20
Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
www.shockey.us
www.sipforum.orgrichard<at>shockey.us
Skype-Linkedin-Facebook rshockey101
PSTN +1 703-593-2683






>


From nobody Tue Nov 10 11:40:24 2015
Return-Path: <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
X-Original-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 00FE71B3DC5 for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:40:23 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.91
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.91 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id yt1e2NU-hiUP for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:40:20 -0800 (PST)
Received: from nostrum.com (raven-v6.nostrum.com [IPv6:2001:470:d:1130::1]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4878E1B3DB5 for <stir@ietf.org>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:40:20 -0800 (PST)
Received: from unnumerable.local (pool-71-164-199-31.dllstx.fios.verizon.net [71.164.199.31]) (authenticated bits=0) by nostrum.com (8.15.2/8.14.9) with ESMTPSA id tAAJeJDo030196 (version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128 verify=OK) for <stir@ietf.org>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:40:19 -0600 (CST) (envelope-from rjsparks@nostrum.com)
X-Authentication-Warning: raven.nostrum.com: Host pool-71-164-199-31.dllstx.fios.verizon.net [71.164.199.31] claimed to be unnumerable.local
To: stir@ietf.org
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Message-ID: <5642481E.5010109@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:40:14 -0600
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/stir/zwdo6RcQF_7cvvMD0F09NLP20mk>
Subject: [stir] Draft minutes: STIR@IETF94
X-BeenThere: stir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited <stir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/stir/>
List-Post: <mailto:stir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 19:40:23 -0000

Many thanks to Jean and Steve for thorough notes.
The minutes below are also available here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/minutes-94-stir/

Please send any additions/corrections to the list or the chairs as soon 
as you can.

-------------

Minutes: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) - IETF94

Summary:

The attendees approved of the design team's suggestion to shift the
syntax for carrying the signature to use JWT as captured in
draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-06.  Discussion converged on not explicitly
signaling whether where the number was taken from (PAI or elsewhere)
and on including Date in the signature. The attendees supported having
multiple signatures, but expressed concern that each signature have
enough information attached to be semantically distinct (spec).
Extensibility, and policies around standardizing extensions will
continue to be discussed on the list. The next steps will be to revise
rfc4474bis, splitting the the token description out into a separate
draft. We expect these drafts by the end of November, and we expect to
be able to WGLC these drafts.

The group discussed the requirements for the credentials, and began
working towards some technical decisions. We expect a design team to
form and report recommendations (likely mid-December) after the revised
rfc4474bis and new token draft are available.

The full notes are below:
==============================================================================

STIR: IETF 94: Monday 1300-1500

---------------------------------------------------------
10m Administrivia

Presenters: Chairs
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-0.pdf

Jabber scribe: Daniel Burnett (1st hour), Cullen Jennings
Jabber log: http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/stir/2015-11-02.html
Note takers: Jean Mahoney, Steve Donovan

Note well and agenda were presented. No changes to the agenda.


---------------------------------------------------------
20m Report from design team discussions

Presenter: Sean Turner
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-1.pdf

No comments or questions were raised.


---------------------------------------------------------
30m draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis

Presenter: Jon Peterson
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-3.pdf


On the question raised on Slide 4 - The Bare Minimum: Is there a need 
for a “switch” to signify using PAI? Jon pointed out that currently 
there is no such thing, but it has been working since PAI was first 
introduced.

Chris Wendt agreed in general that it works as-is, and it would be 
simpler to keep the logic the same.

Richard Barnes raised a concern about having to verify every PAI in 
every combo. Dave Crocker said that the validator wouldn't know which 
choice was made by the signer. Jon asked for more eyes on the draft.

Cullen pointed out that the From and PAI carry the same information. He 
was also fine with leaving as-is.

Jon raised a concern about the modification by SBCs of the Date header 
field and asked if there were any examples of such behavior.

Cullen said that he had seen SBCs accidentally modifying the Date. Since 
Date is almost never modified, it makes a useful debugging tool.

Sean Turner said that Date modification seems like a surface for an attack.

Jim McEachern said that call forwarding may modify the Date.

Jon said some behaviors are not compatible with an end-to-end security 
system, but if the Date had only been tweaked a little bit there were 
strategies for handling it without re-signing.


slide 5: The Bare Minimum

Adam asked for clarifications. Jon said that the JSON header and claims 
were optional since they would make the message larger and he wanted to 
discourage that.

Jon asked the room is anyone was uncomfortable with JWT.

Robert Sparks, as an individual, had no problem with it.

Sean agreed with it and wanted to move on. Chris reiterated that JWT 
could be used for other purposes.

Jon said that, although SBCs are not defined and have broad powers, we 
want to get through them and need to decide what will work for 
deployment environments that we care about.

Chris said that it would be easy to update SBCs.


slide 6: Multiple Identity Signatures

Russ Housley from floor supported multiple identity signatures, and 
pointed out that email went through a transition from one to multiple 
signatures caused by the transition from SHA-1 to SHA-256, and that 
there could be text that could be reused.

Jon said that "spec" parameter would allow for signing different fields 
for use in authorization, but we would not specify how the authorization 
decision is made.

Jon talked about a transitive approach to security, where you don't 
trust the endpoint but you trust the intermediary.


slide 7: Handling Metadata

Richard Barnes mentioned a specification that could be used instead of 
separate grammars. Jon wanted a pointer to that draft.


slide 8: Extensibility

Size of the message was discussed, and Adam wondered what was sensitive 
to it. Robert pointed out that the size was still an order of magnitude 
lower than an SDP negotiation. Jon said that there were implementations 
that could not handle really large headers. Robert said that the issue 
had not been seen at SIPit for many years. Chris said that since UDP is 
used, it's valid to keep the headers as small as possible, but he didn't 
know if it was a showstopper.

Jon asked what the appropriate IANA policy would be for this. JWT 
extensibility's IANA policy is expert-review with specification. He 
didn't see how we could be less constrained than that.

Dave Crocker pointed out that DKIM's signature lists the fields it has 
hashed. Jon said that is what the first option offers.

Adam said that JWT supports private use, but it would be nice to have 
the information collected somewhere.

Richard pointed out that if you require the verifier to understand the 
field, then you get stuck in lockstep upgrades.

Jon clarified that the 1st option covered adding just one or two new 
fields. The second option solves a different problem that may not be 
specified in the IETF, but the people wanting to solve that problem want 
to use the baseline mechanism. Jon didn't think it was ideal, but he 
would not say no.

Pete Resnick suggested making it a FCFS registry, with an optional 
specification, and the IETF will use the specification. Cullen wanted to 
know why they did not want FCFS. Jon said that the arguments against it 
are that the specs should not be public, and IETF interoperability 
constraints don't apply. Cullen said that if those were the arguments, 
then "spec" should be removed. Jon said that with "spec", you don't have 
to include canon and make the message huge. For JWT, you have to include 
canon, which is why both have their place. Alissa Cooper said don't 
pervert it for people who don't want to do follow process. They can just 
do it.

ACTION: Discuss IANA policy on list.


slide 9: We Have the Technology

Jon asked the working group if it was OK with having a separate WG item 
on the token that would be Proposed Standard.

Sanjay said that two docs provides more flexibility. Sean and Chris were 
fine with it.


slide 10: Next Steps

Jon will revise the draft.

ACTION: Sean, Chris, Richard to review updated draft.
ACTION: find reviewers on list.



slide 11: The job of non-SIP transports

Jon pointed out this was not in charter and it needed more discussion.

Adam wanted to use this in RTCweb in the future.

Jon would be happy to work on it and set up a design team.


slide 12: Not So SIP specific

Jon asked that, if anyone had a problem, to please talk to them.


---------------------------------------------------------
60m draft-ietf-stir-certificates
Presenter: Sean Turner
Presentation: 
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/94/slides/slides-94-stir-2.pdf


slide 6: Ultimate Requirement Questions

Jon said that the first question was a policy question. Richard said 
that the slide was one question in four forms. Cullen wasn't sure what 
to make of the questions, and that if the members of club were decided 
by the FCC, the IETF could only provide technology in supporting that club.

Sanjay said that, on the last point, you need to be able to trace the 
call back.

Russ from floor said that we were specifying a trust store but not what 
was in it, that people will populate the store differently.

Richard said that it was not a technical decision. Build a scalable 
infrastructure to deal with it.


slide 7: Transitive Trust vs Intransitive Trust

Jon said that it's unclear how great the value is since we already have 
ways to determine if the previous hop vouched for the call. The 
difference is that you can see past the previous hop.

Chris said that the slide is implying that the call can only go between 
carriers, but the call will be going through multiple hops and untrusted 
networks.

Jon wondered what you would get with using the PAI, but Chris said no 
one is saying that PAI should be trusted no matter what. Jon said that 
last-hop security was not much better than relying on PAI.

Jon asked if we should detect abuse in realtime or just in audit.

ACTION: Discuss transitive vs intransitive trust on the mailing list.


slide 8: Public or Confidential Credentials?

Jon said that 2 years ago, there were concerns that the subject would 
leak information, but the right way to manage certs is antithetical to 
those concerns.

Chris pointed out there is some risk of leaking information no matter 
what you do with the credentials.

Sean recommended that implementations be allowed to pick their pain 
threshold.


slide 9: Certs for OCN

Jon explained that OCNs may help alleviate leakage concerns.

Richard said there were tradeoffs with cert size, and that there were 
issues with OCSP latency.

Brian Rosen said that OCN doesn't fix the problem and asked how to get 
the assignments to those operators that don't have OCNs.

Chris wanted flexibility.


slide 10: Other Transitive Approaches

Jon and Chris saw some promise here, and Chris said there should be some 
semantics here.



slide 11: So what now?

Sean and Jon want a design team call on certs.

Chris wanted to start out simple with carrier certs and then go from there.

ACTION: Sean Turner to set up a design meeting on certs.

Russ said that the syntax and semantics of the signature should be 
nailed down so that we know what the requirements for the cert are.

Jon said that the FCC has created a timeline for this, and he wants an 
LC as soon as possible.

ACTION: Jon to bring up Date concerns on mailing list to ensure that it 
is not a blocker.

Robert recapped major actions:
- Revise 4474bis draft between now and the end of November.
- Adopt the token draft as a stir doc.
- Start the LC process on 4474bis at end of November.
- Hold a design team discussion in mid December on certs.



From nobody Tue Nov 10 12:01:56 2015
Return-Path: <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
X-Original-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: stir@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 90C151B3E1E for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:01:55 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.235
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.235 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, SPF_SOFTFAIL=0.665] autolearn=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id efhuSsyEFGQk for <stir@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:01:53 -0800 (PST)
Received: from resqmta-ch2-05v.sys.comcast.net (resqmta-ch2-05v.sys.comcast.net [IPv6:2001:558:fe21:29:69:252:207:37]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 661EA1B3E11 for <stir@ietf.org>; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:01:30 -0800 (PST)
Received: from resomta-ch2-09v.sys.comcast.net ([69.252.207.105]) by resqmta-ch2-05v.sys.comcast.net with comcast id fw1P1r00A2GyhjZ01w1VJC; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 20:01:29 +0000
Received: from Paul-Kyzivats-MacBook-Pro.local ([73.218.51.154]) by resomta-ch2-09v.sys.comcast.net with comcast id fw1V1r00A3KdFy101w1VQl; Tue, 10 Nov 2015 20:01:29 +0000
To: stir@ietf.org
References: <5642481E.5010109@nostrum.com>
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Message-ID: <56424D17.5020607@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:01:27 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <5642481E.5010109@nostrum.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20140121; t=1447185689; bh=SBISfNmVdVEs5JvzXBYJTsCkFXAdFjnRIa+nh7Y80/8=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=bGBSksaWrkuvgiVhrSe5gGPlFQk5S9HtG22+LyZwhH5q1Del2UgQzfIkC2Z0FXO/E g8Zti64TfzQEcD/NjVxSIwySYSINymamn/gbAjJaAhgqvk8kzmT/U64M+U667K4F6g FpdFkIPMjQE9/WKCbsv75/OIfPplaMs1CIuNXVN/vqKkYV4ZlRq3tgLKOt9fxO72Xr M6UZBjiWr+l+XSod+YB7lPY+YY/f0N2MdDnKLHfUAGs2HZJqfnjJ36DMyPFIoZIlwo V/0pKWQRvBqlA0wMNE3goPn5hBfrRfTaGFaO9kD2MCyr/IcFtSaEj26dw5XTQYsV/d HfHVDuu0qsJBA==
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/stir/TjEuX_1s3gczug-z8QQ8NxSdlW4>
Subject: Re: [stir] Draft minutes: STIR@IETF94
X-BeenThere: stir@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Secure Telephone Identity Revisited <stir.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/stir/>
List-Post: <mailto:stir@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir>, <mailto:stir-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 20:01:55 -0000

On 11/10/15 2:40 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:

> Summary:
>
> TThe attendees supported having
> multiple signatures, but expressed concern that each signature have
> enough information attached to be semantically distinct (spec).

Isn't it sufficient that a recipient might trust one of the signers and 
not another?

	Thanks,
	Paul

