Subject: [Supa] supa framework review

From: Gunter Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 11:00:46 +0000

Hi, all

After reviewing the supa architecture draft,  I give some of the comments as follows,

* Section 1, page 2:

> The rapid growth in the variety and importance of traffic flowing
over increasingly complex enterprise and service provider network
architectures makes the task of network operations and management
applications deploying new services much more difficult. In
addition, network operators want to deploy new services quickly and
efficiently.

It sounds like that the growth of importance of ... makes the task more difficult. It doesn't make sense.

Traffic flow over increasingly complex enterprise and service provider network becomes more and more important. Meanwhile, the rapid growth of the variety makes the task of network operations and management applications deploying new services much more difficult, Moreover, network operators want to deploy new services quickly and efficiently.

* Section 3.1, page 4:

>Note that YANG models may not exist. In this case, the SUPA generic
policy YANG data modules serve as an extensible basis to develop new
YANG data models for the Service Interface Logic to create
appropriate input mechanisms for the operator to define policies.
This transfers the work specified by the Resource and Service YANG
data models specified in IETF into the Service Interface Logic, which
is then translated to configuration snippets.

already explained in above paragraph, delete it? Too long to understand

Change to
Note that YANG models may not exist. In this case, the SUPA generic
policy YANG data modules serve as an extensible basis to develop new
YANG data models for the Service Interface Logic
This transfers the work specified by the Resource and Service YANG
data models specified in IETF into the Service Interface Logic.

** Editorial **

Section 1, page 3
>The ECA
Policy Rule Information Model (EPRIM) [I-D.ietf-supa-generic-policyinfo-
model] extends the GPIM to define how to build policy rules
according to the event-condition-action paradigm.

Please change to "The ECA
Policy Rule Information Model (EPRIM) [I-D.ietf-supa-generic-policyinfo-
model] extends the GPIM by defining how to build policy rules
according to the event-condition-action paradigm.

* Section 2, page 3:

>EPRIM: ECA Policy Rule Information Model, which extends the GPIM to
define how to build policy rules according to the event-conditionaction
paradigm.

Change to
EPRIM: ECA Policy Rule Information Model, which extends the GPIM by defining how to build policy rules according to the event-conditionaction
paradigm.

* Section 2 and page 3:

>GPDM: Generic Policy Data Models [I-D.ietf-supa-generic-policy-datamodel],
are created from the GPIM. These YANG data model policies
are used to control the configuration of network elements that model
the service(s) to be managed using policy.

Change to
GPDM: Generic Policy Data Models [I-D.ietf-supa-generic-policy-datamodel],
are created from the GPIM. These YANG data model policies
are used to control the configuration of network elements that model
the service(s) to be managed.

* Section 3.1 and page 5:
>Figure 1 is exemplary. The Operator actor shown in Figure 1 can
interact with SUPA in other ways not shown in Figure 1.

Change to
Figure 1 is exemplary. The Operator actor can
interact with SUPA in other ways not shown in Figure 1.

* Section 3.1 and page 6:

>A set of Generic Policy Data Models (GPDM) are then created from the
GPIM. These YANG data model policies are then used to control the
configuration of network elements that model the service(s) to be
managed using policy.

Change to
A set of Generic Policy Data Models (GPDM) are then created from the
GPIM. These YANG data model policies are then used to control the
configuration of network elements that model the service(s) to be
managed.

* Section 3.1 and page 7:

>ECA Policy Rule Data Model: a model of policy rules, derived from
EPRIM, that consist of an event clause, a condition clause, and an
action clause.

Change to
ECA Policy Rule Data Model: a model of policy rules, derived from
EPRIM, while each policy rule consists of an event clause, a condition clause, and an
action clause.

* Section 3.1 and page 8:

>Line (1) and (2)
connecting policy to resource and policy to service are same, and
line (3) connecting resource to service is different as it's
navigable only from resource to service.

Change to
Line (1) and (2)
connecting policy to resource and policy to service are the same, and
line (3) connecting resource to service is different as it's
navigable only from resource to service.

* Section 3.3 and page 8:

>The GPIM provides a common vocabulary for representing concepts that
are common to expressing different types of policy, but which are
independent of language, protocol, repository, and level of
abstraction.

Change to
The GPIM provides a common vocabulary for representing concepts that
are common to different types of policy, but which are
independent of language, protocol, repository, and level of
abstraction.

* Section 3.3 and page 9:

>The GPIM provides a common vocabulary for representing concepts that
are common to expressing different types of policy,

change to
The GPIM provides a common vocabulary for representing concepts that
are common to different types of policy,

* Section 3.4 and page 10:

>The YANG module derived from the GPIM contains concepts and
terminology for the common operation and administration of policy-
based systems, as well as an extensible structure for policy rules of
different paradigms. The YANG module derived from the EPRIM extends
the generic nature of the GPIM to represent policies using an event-
condition-action structure.
The above sequence allows for the addition of new, as well as the
editing of existing model elements in the GPIM and EPRIM. In
practice, the implementation sequence may be much simpler.
Specifically, it is unlikely that the GPIM will need to be changed.
In addition, changes to the EPRIM will likely be focused on fine-
tuning the behavior offered by a specific set of model elements.

Change to
The YANG module derived from the GPIM contains concepts and
terminology for the common operation and administration of policy-
based systems, as well as an extensible structure for policy rules of
different paradigms. The YANG module derived from the EPRIM extends
the generic nature of the GPIM by representing policies using an event
condition-action structure.
The above sequence allows for the addition of new, as well as the
editing of existing model elements in the GPIM and EPRIM. In
practice, the implementation sequence may be much simpler.
Specifically, it is unlikely that the GPIM will need to be changed.
Changes to the EPRIM will likely be focused on fine-
tuning the behavior offered by a specific set of model elements.

BR/Gunter