Subject: Re: TCP & Path MTU Discovery.

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:46:04 -0500 (EST)

> Can someone point out a TCP implementation that uses the PMTU-D as
> defined in RFC 1191.

NetBSD, at least in recent versions, is supposed to do this if you turn
on the proper sysctl (net.inet.ip.mtudisc).  Presumably the other BSD
variants are comparable, though I haven't verified it myself.

I also haven't checked how precisely compatible with 1191 the
implementation actually is.

					der Mouse

			       [email-masked]
		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: "Kevin Lahey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:22:29 -0800

In message <[email-masked]>der Mouse writes
>implementation actually is.

I wrote the NetBSD PMTUD implementation, so I'm bound to think
that it is pretty comformant.  :-)  At the same time as I was
writing it, a NASA intern and I checked out a number of other 
implementations to verify how conformant they were.

I remember checking FreeBSD, Linux, IRIX, Solaris, HP-UX, 
Windows (NT and possibly 98), and UNICOS.  All of 'em were fairly close, 
with a few minor nits for some of 'em, mostly outlined in a I-D
I wrote that seems to have expired without me making a last set
of revisions... :-(

Cheers,

Kevin Lahey
[email-masked]