Subject: adios tcpimpl (the working group, but not the mailing list)

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:57:54 PDT

FYI, now that "TCP Problems with Path MTU Discovery" has been published
as RFC 2923, the tcpimpl WG has finally completed its charter, and is
being shut down.  However, the mailing list will not go away, and
corrections/updates to the tcpimpl documents remain of interest (the WG
can always be revived if need be to revise a document).

Thanks very much to all of you for your contributions ...

		Vern & Mark

---

From: Ian Heavens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:38:24 +0100

I think a TCP implementors' email list is an excellent idea,
regardless of IETF activities :-).  

Thanks to Vern and Mark for chairing the WG....

ian

-- 
Ian Heavens, Spider Software Ltd., http://www.spider.com/
8 John's Place, Leith, Edinburgh EH6 7EL. 
Tel +44 131 475 7015 fax. +44 131 475 7001  [email-masked]

---

From: Pablo Molinero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:16:30 -0700

Hi,

I hope that there is still someone out there in the list.

I am working for my thesis in a resource reservation system that would
transform a regular connection establishment in TCP into a reservation
request at the core of the network. If the request cannot be
accommodated immediately, I would like to wait for sometime before
resetting the TCP connection to see whether some resources become
available.

My question is: is there a study of how long different TCP
implementations wait before giving up a connection establishment (i.e.
because the SYN does not get a SYN-ACK back in response)?

I have done some rough investigations and I saw that:
- RFC 1122, Sec. 4.2.3.5, page 101, states that the connection
establishment time-out should be at least of 3 min.
- Linux 2.2.16 waits for 13 min.
- Solaris 2.7 waits for 3 min 44 sec
- HP-UX 10.20 & 11.0 wait for 1 min 12-16 sec [non-RFC-1122-conformant]
- Windows 98 waits for 45 sec [non-RFC-1122-conformant]

I would appreciate if you could tell me for how long other
implementations wait (a simple "time telnet 171.64.74.5" will tell you
between in the third column), and whether there are any studies on
different TCP implementations. 

Thanks in advance,

Pablo Molinero

-- 
-------------------------------------------------
Pablo Molinero-Fernández
(650) 497-7490 (home)
(650) 723-1414 (office)
http://www.stanford.edu/~molinero
Snail-mail:  Gates Building 3A, Room 342
             Stanford, CA 94305-9030