Subject: Re: Multiple TCP source addresses?

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:27:07 -0500 (EST)

>>> That works only if your interface is UP or DOWN.  If it's
>>> malfunctioning or there's a break somewhere else in the LAN (e.g.,
>>> on the next wire in a switched ethernet), there's no indication.
>> On the contrary, what I wrote is accurate, based [...]
> Only if sent-on-the-floor is recorded as an error.  There are cases
> where it is not.  Ethernet isn't one of these, as you note later in
> your reply, but there are others (esp. wireless).

Actually, Ethernet *doesn't* notice sent-on-the-floor, provided you've
got an appropriate arp entry (eg, wired in, or not yet timed out).

					der Mouse

			       [email-masked]
		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:19:22 -0800

> got an appropriate arp entry (eg, wired in, or not yet timed out).

If you keep sending, wouldn't it fail to timeout?
(e.g., UDP streams)

Joe