Subject: Re: Lost connection

From: "M B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 15:32:17 -0400

Jon,
You're right. There is a Check Point firewall between LAN2 and LAN3.
And it translates all IPs coming from LAN1 and LAN2. As you said,
that would explain why a connection gets dropped after being idle
for 2 hours or so.

LAN1....T1.....LAN2-FW-......FR.....LAN3

But why would an FTP transfer go idle if it's coming from LAN1, while
FTP transfers from LAN2 finish normally? More info:
. LAN1 and LAN2 don't have any firewall between them.
. The problem started to occur only after the NT machine was moved
  from LAN2 to LAN1.

Thanks guys for your contributions. It's helpful to brainstorm before
zeroing on something.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: "Tirumala, Srivathsa (Srivathsa)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:54:27 +0530

> LAN1....T1.....LAN2-FW-......FR.....LAN3

  From your examples, its not clear that the control connection is the one
that's being closed. Your example 2  shows that after one file xfer fails,
you still send a TYPE command on the control connection.. and this is
accepted by the server!!  So the control connection is still up.    And
obviously,  the data connection is not idle.

> . The problem started to occur only after the NT machine was moved

  I guess LAN2 to LAN3 transfers take less than 2 hours.

Bye
Srivathsa