Subject: Re: your mail

From: Bogdan Moraru <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 06:28:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi, i´m working on a comparative analysis of the TCP
implementations (Tahoe, Reno, NewReno, SACK). I am
trying to obtain these implementations under Linux Red
Hat, in order to test them. Where can I find out which
version of TCP is implemented in which version of
Kernel, in order to install those kernels.
There is another possibility (but I´m not sure it will
work...)if is possible to send me if you have, the tcp
code sources that implement these tcp versions(or
where can I find these code sources), and to try to
replace them in my kernel(2.4.9) and recompile it.
Thank´s
Bogdan Moraru

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards®
http://movies.yahoo.com/

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:12:17 +0000 (GMT)

> Kernel, in order to install those kernels.

The Linux TCP is not a precise implementation of any of the "pure" BSD
algorithms. Its several iterations of some slightly different algorithms
(which naturally enough we think are superior ;)).

If you want to test actual tahoe, reno, newreno then you need to do it
on the BSD code base. That is the only codebase which truely had those 
TCP setups

Since V7 now seems to have been published by SCO^WCaldera I'm not sure
if that has freed up the old 4.2/4.3BSD releases you would want.

Alan

---

From: "John R. LoVerso" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:23:07 -0500

> if that has freed up the old 4.2/4.3BSD releases you would want.

Just to note, all those versions of TCP are in post-4.3BD releases.

John

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:22:36 -0800

> trying to obtain these implementations under Linux Red

Depending on what you are trying to do, maybe simulting things in ns 
would be good enough as a first step? I remember it having multiple TCP 
flavors available.

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>               Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/              University of Southern California

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:07:03 -0500 (EST)

> Hi, i´m working on a comparative analysis of the TCP implementations
> (Tahoe, Reno, NewReno, SACK).  I am trying to obtain these
> implementations under Linux

You're out of luck.  The licenses are incompatible enough that it is a
violation of at least one of them to distribute a Linux kernel with any
version of the BSD IP stack integrated.

If you want the real thing, you'll probably have to run a BSD variant.
You might be able to shoehorn the BSD stack into the Linux kernel;
provided you don't distribute the result, I *think* you should be OK
legally (though note that I'm not a lawyer).  But I'm not sure how much
point there would be.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:50:10 +0000 (GMT)

> version of the BSD IP stack integrated.

UC Berkeley relaxed their advertising clause. So providing its pure UCB
code it should be ok. In addition to which the GPL only deals with
distribution.

---

From: Neil Spring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:43:28 -0800

> Hi, i?m working on a comparative analysis of the TCP implementations

Depending on what you end up choosing to do (simulation
vs. real BSD implementations), you might find Alpine to
be useful.

The author believes it should be "reasonably easy" to
port Alpine to run a FreeBSD 3.x stack as a user process
on top of Linux. (It currently runs BSD over BSD).

http://alpine.cs.washington.edu/

Good luck.

-neil