Subject: [tcpm] RFC 6528 on Defending against Sequence Number Attacks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:14:34 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6528

        Title:      Defending against Sequence Number Attacks 
        Author:     F. Gont, S. Bellovin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 26917
        Obsoletes:  RFC1948
        Updates:    RFC0793

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc1948bis-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6528.txt

This document specifies an algorithm for the generation of TCP
Initial Sequence Numbers (ISNs), such that the chances of an off-path
attacker guessing the sequence numbers in use by a target connection
are reduced.  This document revises (and formally obsoletes) RFC
1948, and takes the ISN generation algorithm originally proposed in
that document to Standards Track, formally updating RFC 793.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC