Subject: [tcpm] draft-williams-overlaypath-ip-tcp-rfc-00

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:11:21 -0400

An Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Overlay Path Option for IP and TCP
	Author		: Brandon Williams
	Filename	: draft-williams-overlaypath-ip-tcp-rfc-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2012-01-17

	This document proposes IPv4, IPv6, and TCP options for
	communicating the true IP address of a TCP connection endpoint
	to its peer when that address is hidden due to the use of NAT on
	an overlay network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-williams-overlaypath-ip-tcp-rfc-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-williams-overlaypath-ip-tcp-rfc-00.txt

-- 
Brandon Williams; Principal Software Engineer
Cloud Engineering; Akamai Technologies Inc.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0700

This doc needs to be updated immediately, and references to numbers not 
assigned by IANA replaced with TBDs. Notably IP option 218, TCP option 
30, etc. are NOT assigned by IANA.

There is no such thing as "provisional pending IANA approval"; this 
document establishes squatting, period.

This document should be revised before being further discussed.

Joe

---

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:24:11 -0400

Thank you for taking the time to look the document over and for noting 
this shortcoming. You are absolutely right that the document should not 
have been published with any reference to unassigned numbers. I should 
have realized that this would be unacceptable.

I will make that change and publish a version 01 ASAP in order to 
facilitate further discussion.

--Brandon

---

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:19:55 -0400

I have submitted a revised version of the draft which no longer 
inappropriately refers to specific option numbers that have not been 
assigned by IANA. Please let me know if the revision does not meet your 
expectations for clarity in this regard.

Thank you,
--Brandon

A new version of I-D, draft-williams-overlaypath-ip-tcp-rfc-01.txt has 
been successfully submitted by Brandon Williams and posted to the IETF 
repository.

Filename:     draft-williams-overlaypath-ip-tcp-rfc
Revision:     01
Title:         Overlay Path Option for IP and TCP
Creation date:     2012-03-29
WG ID:         Individual Submission
Number of pages: 15

Abstract:
    Data transport through overlay networks often uses either connection
    termination or network address translation (NAT) in such a way that
    the public IP addresses of the true endpoint machines involved in the
    data transport are invisible to each other.  This document describes
    IPv4, IPv6, and TCP options for communicating this information from
    the overlay network to the endpoint machines.