Subject: [tcpm] TCP Loss Probe (TLP): An Algorithm for Fast Recovery of Tail Losses

From: Nandita Dukkipati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:27:11 -0700

Hi!

We have a new draft on an algorithm called TLP (TCP Loss Probe). We will
have a presentation on TLP at upcoming Vancouver  meeting. Below is the
abstract and the Internet Draft.

TCP Loss Probe (TLP): An Algorithm for Fast Recovery of Tail Losses
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-00

Abstract
Retransmission timeouts are detrimental to application latency, especially
for short transfers such as Web transactions where timeouts can often take
longer than all of the rest of a transaction.  The primary cause of
retransmission timeouts are lost segments at the tail of transactions.
 This document describes an experimental algorithm for TCP to quickly
recover lost segments at the end of transactions or when an entire window
of data or acknowledgments are lost.  TCP Loss Probe (TLP) is a sender-only
algorithm that allows the transport to recover tail losses through fast
recovery as opposed to lengthy retransmission timeouts.  If a connection is
not receiving any acknowledgments for a certain period of time, TLP
transmits the last unacknowledged segment (loss probe).  In the event of a
tail loss in the original transmissions, the acknowledgment from the loss
probe triggers SACK/FACK based fast recovery.  TLP effectively avoids long
timeouts and thereby improves TCP performance.

Feedback and ideas are welcome!
Nandita