Subject: [tcpm] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-fox-tcpm-shared-memory-rdma-00.txt

From: Mike Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 17:46:19 -0400

The submitted internet draft describes a new protocol that exploits RDMA 
over CEE (RoCE) transparently for TCP sockets based applications. This 
protocol (Shared Memory Communications over RDMA or SMC-R for short) 
achieves this transparency by using normal TCP connection establishment 
flows but allows each end point to dynamically negotiate the use of SMC-R 
via TCP experimental options as proposed in 
draft-ietf-tcpm-experimental-options-01.txt. When both end points agree to 
use the SMC-R protocol, all data flows across the two TCP endpoints take 
place using out of band RDMA Write operations to pre-defined memory 
regions allocated by the two peers. The goal of the SMC-R protocol is to 
achieve this transparently for TCP socket applications which means 
supporting the same socket API semantics and simulating the behavior of 
the TCP protocol as observed by the application layer. As such, SMC-R 
includes provisions for handling TCP specific features such as urgent 
data. The hybrid nature of the SMC-R protocol allows it to maintain many 
of the qualities of service associated with TCP/IP communications while 
providing the performance benefits of leveraging RDMA technology for 
moving data on Ethernet networks capable of RDMA. 

Any review and comments on this draft would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you,
Mike Fox

> A new version of I-D, draft-fox-tcpm-shared-memory-rdma-00.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Mike Fox and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Filename:               draft-fox-tcpm-shared-memory-rdma
> Revision:               00
> Title:                                  Shared Memory Communications 
over RDMA
> Creation date:                  2012-07-09
> WG ID:                                  Individual Submission
> Number of pages: 133
> URL:             
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fox-tcpm-shared-memory-rdma-00.txt

> Status:          
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fox-tcpm-shared-memory-rdma
> Htmlized:        
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fox-tcpm-shared-memory-rdma-00
>
>
> Abstract:
>   This document describes the Shared Memory Communications over RDMA
>   (SMC-R) protocol.  This protocol provides RDMA communications to TCP
>   endpoints in a manner that is transparent to socket applications.  It
>   further provides for dynamic discovery of partner RDMA capabilities
>   and dynamic setup of RDMA connections, transparent high availability
>   and load balancing when redundant RDMA network paths are available,
>   and it maintains many of the traditional TCP/IP qualities of service
>   such as filtering that enterprise users demand, as well as TCP socket
>   semantics such as urgent data.
>
>  
>
>
> The IETF Secretariat