Subject: [tcpm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd-06.txt> (Increasing TCP's Initial Window) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:29:40 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'Increasing TCP's Initial Window'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd-06.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-12-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document proposes an experiment to increase the permitted TCP
   initial window (IW) from between 2 and 4 segments, as specified in
   RFC 3390, to 10 segments, with a fallback to the existing
   recommendation when performance issues are detected. It discusses the
   motivation behind the increase, the advantages and disadvantages of
   the higher initial window, and presents results from several large
   scale experiments showing that the higher initial window improves the
   overall performance of many web services without resulting in a
   congestion collapse. The document closes with a discussion of usage
   and deployment for further experimental purpose recommended by the
   IETF TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (TCPM) working group.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.