Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 01:24:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions of the IETF.

        Title           : TCP Alternative Backoff with ECN (ABE)
        Authors         : Naeem Khademi
                          Michael Welzl
                          Grenville Armitage
                          Godred Fairhurst
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2017-05-04

Abstract:
   Recent Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanisms instantiate shallow
   buffers with burst tolerance to minimise the time that packets spend
   enqueued at a bottleneck.  However, shallow buffering can cause
   noticeable performance degradation when TCP is used over a network
   path with a large bandwidth-delay-product.  Traditional methods rely
   on detecting network congestion through reported loss of transport
   packets.  Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) instead allows a
   router to directly signal incipient congestion.  A sending endpoint
   can distinguish when congestion is signalled via ECN, rather than by
   packet loss.  An ECN signal indicates that an AQM mechanism has done
   its job, and therefore the bottleneck network queue is likely to be
   shallow.  This document therefore proposes an update to the TCP
   sender-side ECN reaction in congestion avoidance to reduce the
   FlightSize by a smaller amount than the congestion control
   algorithm's reaction to loss.  Future versions of this document will
   also describe a corresponding method for the Stream Control
   Transmission Protocol (SCTP).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 10:38:28 +0200

Hi everyone,

JFYI, there were no technical changes here, but we worked much with the text to make it easier to read - mostly due to feedback from Stuart Cheshire.

Cheers,
Michael

> On May 4, 2017, at 10:24 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm