Subject: [tcpm] Accurate ECN update: draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 17:36:02 +0000

TCPM folks,

We've updated this draft.

* Added feedback and testing for mangling of IP/ECN on SYN & SYN/ACK
   in draft-03 these had been potential options in an appendix, but 
we've promoted them to requirements as a result of a measurement study 
that finds ECN bleaching in mobile (details can be provided).
* MUST use change-triggered ACKs with conditional exception for hardware 
offload (as promised in last tcpm meeting)
* All open issues now closed. Deleted last 3 appendices that were "To be 
deleted before publication"
* No change to IANA section, as agreed by hum in last tcpm

* Ready for WGLC.

See: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04.txt
Date: 	Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:56:38 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions WG of the IETF.

         Title           : More Accurate ECN Feedback in TCP
         Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                           Mirja Kühlewind
                           Richard Scheffenegger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2017-10-30

Abstract:
    Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is a mechanism where network
    nodes can mark IP packets instead of dropping them to indicate
    incipient congestion to the end-points.  Receivers with an ECN-
    capable transport protocol feed back this information to the sender.
    ECN is specified for TCP in such a way that only one feedback signal
    can be transmitted per Round-Trip Time (RTT).  Recently, new TCP
    mechanisms like Congestion Exposure (ConEx) or Data Center TCP
    (DCTCP) need more accurate ECN feedback information whenever more
    than one marking is received in one RTT.  This document specifies an
    experimental scheme to provide more than one feedback signal per RTT
    in the TCP header.  Given TCP header space is scarce, it overloads
    the three existing ECN-related flags in the TCP header and provides
    additional information in a new TCP option.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm