Subject: Re: [Techspec] publication times & stable identifiers

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:32:15 +0100

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 1:38 PM -0500 10/27/05, Stephen Hayes (TX/EUS) wrote:
> 
>> Note that even though 3GPP can achieve fast publication by relying on 
>> support staff, this does not mean IETF can.  3GPP membership is 
>> composed of companies and these companies have the resources to 
>> respond in a timely manner to questions and editing requests.  This 
>> may not be possible when the involved parties are volunteer individuals.
> 
> 
> The current RFC Editor is paid under a contract with ISOC; they are not 
> volunteers.

Chiming in late...

In my mind I link this to the whole question of making WGs more
responsible for quality control of their output. The early copy-edit
experiment is still young, but I think it's shown that the contractor
can work effectively with the WG itself to fix up text quality *before*
approval. That will help everybody - as an AD, I don't like having to
review a document with incomplete sentences. In one recent case, the
incomplete sentence was in at least 4 successive versions of the draft,
and I couldn't tell whether it was a technical omission or just an
editing glitch. Early editing can speed up IESG review as well as
RFC publication.

In other words, if WGs want their drafts to be approved quickly
and published quickly, the WGs have to care about document quality -
and IMHO the publication service needs to help them.

     Brian

_______________________________________________
Techspec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/techspec