Subject: [Techspec] Comments on mankin-pub-req-01 and stable references

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:31:52 -0800

On the open issue, I agree with the thoughts that normative reference need
to be "done" before works that depends on them is "done" (for some meaning
of "done").

My proposal to deal with this would be in section 5.2 where there is a list
of 7 bullet points steps, we insert a new step right before step 4 where the
IESG assigns the stable reference. This step would read something like:

o  Wait for normative references to all have a stable permanent identifier
assigned to them. 

I feel that failure to do something like this will result in publication of
"Wrapper" documents that just wrap some unfinished work so that other
standard organization can reference the wrapper document. We will then be
put in the position of hoping that the unfinished work finishes in a way
that does not harm the "done" documents that refer to it. This will result
in constraints on solutions WG can use because of "future compatibility"
concerns with products that have not even been produced yet. It would be a
nightmare and we should avoid it.

Cullen

_______________________________________________
Techspec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/techspec