Subject: [Tools-discuss] possible tool suggestion

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:13:49 -0400

A tool in which some WG chairs have expressed interest:

  http://www.hactrn.net/hacks/mh-list-traffic/mh-list-traffic

It's a traffic summary generator, which I find useful in tracking
certain forms of pathological mailing list behavior.

I originally wrote this as a quick hack to monitor the mailing list
activity of a somewhat contentious WG of which I was (at the time)
co-chair.  Several other WG chairs expressed interest in using this
tool to manage discussions their own WG mailing lists, so I currently
have a variant of this running as a weekly cron robot.  Sample of what
the output looks like available in the IPv6 and MULTI6 archives.

The script itself is still a hack, one could (easily) do better.

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 05:44:39 +0200

Hi Rob,

> The script itself is still a hack, one could (easily) do better.

Nifty.  Since I don't normally read my mail with MH, I patched it to be
able to take the directory information as a command line parameter (mh
style) - otherwise it still defaults to the current folder:

--- /usr/local/bin/mh-list-traffic.orig 2004-09-14 05:25:46.000000000 +0200
+++ /usr/local/bin/mh-list-traffic      2004-09-14 05:32:16.000000000 +0200
@@ -23,7 +23,7 @@

 : ${since=-7}

-pick -after "$since" |
+pick -after "$since" $1 |
 xargs scan -format '%(size) %(mbox{from})@%(host{from})' |
 tr A-Z a-z |
 awk '

I'll add a link to the script from the tools.ietf.org tool page for WG
tools.

	Henrik