Subject: [Tools-discuss] ID-nits and references

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:01:12 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

This comes up very often in the RFC-editor process, and I thought it 
might be useful to have a tool for noticing this.

a) Very often, there are references in the References sections which 
aren't referred to in the body of the memo.

b) Also often (but maybe less so), there are references in the body of 
the text which do not exist under the References sections.

These cause some amount of exchange with the authors and the 
RFC-editor, and should be more easily noticed in the document 
development process.

I don't know what would be the right place for this,
  1) the idnits tool by Henrik,
  2) Bill Fenner's dependency tool 
[http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/index.cgi] which can already do 
(indirectly) at least b)
  3) something else

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: "Alex Rousskov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:34:06 -0600

Henrik,

	Would you mind adding the functionality described below to your XML  
database? It does not have to be a stand-alone tool, of course, but I want  
to make sure we do not forget.

Thank you,

Alex.

On Tue, 2004/10/26 (MDT), <[email-masked]> wrote:

> These cause some amount of exchange with the authors and the RFC-editor,  
> and should be more easily noticed in the document development process.
>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:09:48 -0400

Another case to be checked is a reference to a document that has been 
superceded or obsoleted by a newer versions of that document. (Of 
course, fixing such a reference shouldn't be handled through a simple 
edit. The newer document may have changed its ABNF definitions or made 
other incompatible changes that may need to be reflected in your document.)

An automatic ABNF extractor and checker would be nice. This could be 
aided by having XML tags specifically designed for ABNF that indicated 
that the text was ABNF, and where some the externally-defined tags came 
from. Another check is verifying that there are normative references for 
the tags that come from other places. I know the RFC Editor does such 
extracts and verifications as part of their job, but it would be nice to 
have it checked before submission.

	Tony