Subject: [Tools-discuss] A tool to check references and citations in I-Ds.

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:54:12 +0100

As per the below, I believe such a tool could help a lot
at earlier stages in the process.

Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 10:43
To: Iesg (E-mail)
Subject: Issues with References: draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-17.txt

Mmmm... blush (since doc was approved while I was/am primary AD).

The below shows that (specifically in documents witgh many many references
and citations) it might be good if we had a tool that could check
for such things and alert editors/authors/wgs/us(ADs) of issues
as found by the RFC-editor below.

DO we know of such a tool?

Should I forwar dthis to the TOOLS group/team?

Bert
-----Original Message-----
From: David Mitton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 04:43
To: RFC Editor; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: RFC Editor; Bert Wijnen; Kessens, David; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; David Mitton
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-17.txt

Sorry about this,

         I made several passes on the document in the final reviews to 
resolve all the references.  Obviously, some managed to slip by.

Comments imbedded below:

On 11/3/2004 08:58 PM, RFC Editor wrote:
>Authors,
>
>While editing <draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-17.txt> we have come
>across the following references which do not have corresponding
>citations:
>
>[802.1X]      IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan networks -
>Port-Based Network Access Control, IEEE Std 802.1X-2001, June
>2001

I would say that [RAD802.1X] RFC 3580 pulls this information in indirectly.
And in the future Diameter EAP will as well, therefore, this reference can 
be removed.

>[AAATrans]    Aboba, B. and J. Wood, "Authentication, Authorization
>and Accounting (AAA) Transport Profile", RFC 3539, June 2003.

change [AAATrans] to [DiamTrans]  in the reference.
This will fix the citation mentioned below.

>[ExtRADPract] Mitton, D., "Network Access Servers Requirements:
>Extended RADIUS Practices", RFC 2882, July 2000.

hmm... actually RFC 2882 gets dragged in by being referenced in [RADIUSTypes]
but for some reason we never discussed what to do with those types in 
Section 9.
Please, retain the reference for now.  I will consider additional text and 
possibly poll the WG.

>[RADIUSIANA]  Aboba, B., "IANA Considerations for RADIUS (Remote
>Authentication Dial In User Service)", RFC 3575, July 2003.

Section 11.2, "AVP Codes" page 83, second paragraph, last sentance:
"These values are assigned by the policy in RFC 2865 Section 6 [RADIUS]"
Add to end of sentance: "and amended by RFC 3575 [RADIUSIANA]."

>Please let us know where we should insert textual citations to the
>documents listed above.  If they are not to be cited, they will be
>deleted from the references section.
>
>
>We have also come across the following textual citations that do not
>have reference entries:
>
>[DiamTrans]
fixed above.

>[L2TP]
>[PPPMP]
>[PPTP]

Add as Informative references:

[L2TP]  Townsley, et. al., "
Layer Two Tunneling Protocol 'L2TP'
",
         RFC 2661, August 1999
[PPPMP] Sklower, et. al., "The PPP Multilink Protocol (MP)",
         RFC 1990, August 1996

[PPTP]  Hamzeh, K., Pall, G., Verthein, W., Taarud, J., Little, W. and
         G. Zorn, "Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)", RFC 2637,
         July 1999.
>[RADIPV6]
change citation to [RADIUSIPv6]

>[RFC3576]
change citation to [RADDynAuth]

>[options]
Not intended as a reference. The brackets are meta characters to indicate 
optional parameters to the QoSFilterRule string.

>[IEEE 802.11f]

Add as Informative reference:

[IEEE 802.11F] IEEE, "Trial-Use Recommended Practice for Multi-Vendor Access
                 Point Interoperability via an Inter-Access Point Protocol
                 Across Distribution Systems Supporting IEEE 802.11 
Operation",          IEEE 802.11F-2003, June 2003

>Please send us the reference information for the above citations, and
>let us know whether they should be listed as a normative or
>informative reference.
>
>
>We will not process this document further until we have been able to
>resolve these issues.
>
>Thank you.
>
>RFC Editor

Let me know of any futher issues.

David Mitton.

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss