Subject: [Tools-discuss] scripts to help manage mailman spam/approve posts?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:15:37 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

I vaguely recall seeing, maybe 6-12 months ago, some discussion of 
scrips someone had written or found which would help mailing list 
administrators in managing the spam/approve mails with mailman.

Anyone else know more of this?  May be this should also be listed 
under http://tools.ietf.org/all-tools

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:17:13 +0100

> under http://tools.ietf.org/all-tools

I have a slightly modified version which works well for me, you can
get it at:
	http://www.levkowetz.com/download/mailman.pl 

I have this rule in my .procmailrc to kick this off whenever needed:
(mail addresses and passwords elided with xxxxxx to protect the ...)

--------
# Automatically get rid of spam on Mip4 list
:0 c
* ^From: mip4-(admin|owner)@ietf.org
* ^Subject: \/Mip4 post from [-_@.a-zA-Z0-9]* requires approval
| /usr/local/bin/mailman.pl --url https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/admindb/mip4 --nosa --password xxxxxxxx --required=2.5 | mail -s "[auto-spamcheck] Re: $MATCH" -c [email-masked] [email-masked]
--------

The original one is from Ronan Waide, a.k.a. Waider,
and can be found on his website, here:
   http://www.waider.ie/hacks/workshop/perl/mailman.pl

	Henrik

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:08:19 -0500

FWIW, I also use Ronan's mailman.pl.  In my case, I run it nightly
under cron, using its own SpamAssassin configuration file but sharing
the same Bayesian filtering database I use for other mail.  The main
reason for using a separate SpamAssassin configuration is that
whitelist/blacklist rules for an individual are necessarily somewhat
different than whitelist/blacklist rules for a mailing list.

I've been running this on the IAB list and the IPR WG list for the
better part of a year without any serious problems.  It doesn't catch
everything, but it significantly reduces the amount of garbage that
the other list admins and I have to wade through.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:36:02 +0100

> the other list admins and I have to wade through.

Agreed on all points.

I run mine with the -nosa option, which lets it pick up the
spam header from the list, rather than re-evaluate the mail. (I found
that with the most recent mailman upgrade, the excerpt available from
mailman was not always enough to properly classify the postings - using
the spam header already present ( I assume the secretariat runs spam
checking, too) worked better, at least on the MIP4 list.

One thing I've modified is to add the --required switch as an alternative
to having a separate spamassassin configuration - it is equivalent to
the required_hits parameter in .spamassassin/user_prefs.

	Henrik