Subject: [Tools-discuss] idnits v1.63

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:32:12 +0200

Hi,

    A new version of idnits - v1.63 - is now available from
http://ietf.levkowetz.com/tools/idnits/ .  This version is
intended for use between now and May 6, the date when the
secretariat will start enforcing strict adherence to RFC 3978
and RFC 3979.

In idnits v1.63 a warning has been added for drafts which use 3667 boilerplate instead of 3978 boilerplate, where those differ.  The
3978 boilerplate is now also required to be verbatim, with none of
the slight variations which was accepted earlier (e.g., "he" instead
of "he or she", or "the author" instead of "each author").

I expect to release another version of idnits around May 1st; in
that version a regular error will be reported for non-conforming
boilerplate, instead of v1.63's warning.  At that time idnits will
also become less forgiving towards run-together boilerplate
paragraphs. (Currently it in many cases attempts to match 2 or more
consecutive boilerplate paragraphs to draft text which seems to match
the beginning of the boilerplate text, but is too long...)

Any comments should go to [email-masked].

Regards,

	Henrik

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Baker Fred <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:08:36 -0700

On Apr 4, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> In idnits v1.63 a warning has been added for drafts which use 3667 
> boilerplate instead of 3978 boilerplate, where those differ.  The 3978 
> boilerplate is now also required to be verbatim, with none of

Boy, that's brilliant. I wasn't aware that all IETF contributors are 
male and each draft has exactly one author. What other appropriate 
simplifying assumptions have I overlooked all these years?

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:21:58 -0800

Fred,

  The simplification that Henrik mentions is that the boilerplate must
now exactly match that in RFC 3978 / 1id-guidelines, since that's what
the lawyers and the IPR WG OK'd; previously it was considered OK for an
author to change, e.g., the "he or she" in the template to "he" on a
document with only male authors, or the "each author" to "the author"
on a document with only one author.

  Bill

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:35:12 -0400

On Monday, April 04, 2005 04:08:36 PM -0700 Baker Fred <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Boy, that's brilliant. I wasn't aware that all IETF contributors are male
> and each draft has exactly one author. What other appropriate simplifying
> assumptions have I overlooked all these years?

All Internet users speak, read, and write English and only English?  :-)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:29:58 +0200

Hi Fred,

> simplifying assumptions have I overlooked all these years?

I think maybe you misunderstood what I tried to convey.  The tool would
earlier accept any of the following so that a single male or single
female author, as well as several authors, could use appropriate wording:

  "By submitting this Internet-Draft, the author represents that any
  applicable patent or other IPR claims of which she is aware
  have been or will be disclosed, and any of which she becomes
  aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79."

  "By submitting this Internet-Draft, the author represents that any
  applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he is aware
  have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he becomes
  aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79."

  "By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
  applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
  have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
  aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79."

However, with the explicit message that no such variations to the boiler-
plate should be accepted by the secretariat, idnits will no longer
accept them either.

	Henrik

---

From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:59:16 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <> supposedly scribbled:

>>> boilerplate instead of 3978 boilerplate, where those differ.
The
> All Internet users speak, read, and write English and only
English? 
> :-) 

I _wish_ that all Internet-Draft authors could write in English...

> xml2rfc mailing
> list 
> [email-masked]
> http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel