Subject: [Tools-discuss] IETF Dashboard?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:12:06 +0200

Ray has made the comment that, for him, a very high priority
is to have an overview of where the various processes
are - kind of like the dashboard at the URL below. I agree;
does this seem like something the tools team should look at?

     Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: VDOT Project Dashboard
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:15:59 -0400
From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
To: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
CC: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>, Ray <[email-masked]>

http://dashboard.virginiadot.org/
A Dashboard example
Allows one to drill down into data for transparency
Useful for PMs, Supervisors, Public

Useful tool for I-D Tracker, RFC Editor.

Did you ever see Metaphor - a company bought by IBM decades ago?
A Red, Yellow, Green system overlaying data and rules allowing poeple at
all levels to manage by exception.

Green - w/in normal limits (timeline/charter/Auth48)
Yellow - just outside normal limits by rule, say, 10% late
Red - late, requiring attention

Kind of an aging of accounts w/ slice and dice by AD, WG, Authors,
Editor, I-D ... etc
Cradle to grave
ray

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter
IETF Chair
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:40:47 +0200

Hi Brian, Ray,

    This seems related to (but not the same as) an idea I had of
putting a timeline on each draft summary page (pages of the type
found if you drill down under http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ ).

The timeline would show when each new versions of a draft had appeared,
and thereby the interval between them, with the interval having
a colour changing gradually from green through yellow, orange to red,
depending on the length of the interval between each update.

This would give a clear colour indication of the rate of progress
of individual drafts.

I had not taken the next step of considering aggregating this for
work-groups, but maybe that could also be done.

But enough of that.  Regarding the dashboard idea:

To the extent we can set numbers on our processes, it would be
interesting to implement something similar to the dashboard idea
for the IETF - but since a lot of work done here is volunteer
work, some parts of the processes may be sensitive to trying to
enforce too much management by numbers.  With this caveat, I think
this is a good idea.  I have not yet tried to assess where in our
(the tools team's) line-up of tools this would fit in, in overall
perceived importance.

There's also the consideration that this does not seem to be a
heavily IETF-specific administrative tool - meaning that it could
be a good idea to explore the possible existence of tools already
available that could be adapted to IETF use.  During the next week
I think I could find time to look around for existing open-source
tools in this area, if you believe that would be meaningful.

	Henrik

On 2005-06-01 14:12 Brian E Carpenter said the following:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>