Subject: [Tools-discuss] ID-Nits enhancement

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:14:41 -0400

I don't know if this is a practical enhancement.
I find myself needing to check IDs for which I have a URL.
I can download the draft onto my machine, and then use the IDNits 
webservice to upload and check the draft.
It would seem simple for me to simply hand the tool a URL, and ask it to 
check the draft at that URL.

Is this an enhancement that can be considered?

Thank you,
Joel M. Halpern 

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:19:13 +0200

Hi Joel,

> check the draft at that URL.

I quite agree.  I've updated the web-service to accept URLs as well as
upload filenames:  If you now enter a http or ftp URL in the filename field
of http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht, the service will download
the file and run the check.

Additionally, you can now also invoke the service by composing an URL as:
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht?filename=<URL>,
e.g. (using the latest ietf-announce document):

http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht?filename=http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rescorla-dtls-05.txt

Hope that helps,

	Henrik