Subject: [Tools-discuss] question on how to add to the tools pages

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:35:11 -0700

Hi, all,

I'd like to include the Word template and its associated ID on the
authoring tools page.

Can someone suggest whom to contact to proceed?

Thanks,

Joe

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:58:50 +0200

> Can someone suggest whom to contact to proceed?

If you'll send the details to me, I'll add them to the Authoring Tools
page.

	Henrik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:29:27 -0700

> If you'll send the details to me, I'll add them to the Authoring Tools

Below; sent to the list as an FYI:

- ---

Template for Internet-Drafts and RFCs for WinXP MS Word 2000+

* The Internet Draft that describes this template and its use.
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/draft-touch-msword-template-v2.0-03.txt

* The template itself (.dot file).
http://www.isi.edu/touch/tools/2-Word-v2.0.template.dot

* The Perl post-processing script (works under cygwin on WinXP).
http://www.isi.edu/touch/tools/2-Word-post-v2.0.pl

* The change log.
http://www.isi.edu/touch/tools/word-template-changes.txt

- ---

Feedback on the template would be appreciated, as well. I'd like to lock
this down and issue as an individual RFC soon (unless there is a WG
through which it could/should be vetted - if so, please let me know).

Joe

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:51:13 +0200

Hi Joe,

> ---

I've added these to http://www1.tools.ietf.org/author-tools - 
please check that the text works for you.

> ---

I don't know of a WG which should vet this - the closest would be the
tools team (which isn't a WG) - but we don't currently have this on our
charter, so as far as I'm concerned, you should just go ahead and publish
when you feel it's stable.

I don't use MS word for draft production myself, so can't comment on the
templates and tools, except that the absolutely most common indication I
have of somebody using MS Word for draft production is the occurrence of
quote characters outside the ascii character range.  But I suspect you've
taken care of that in your post-processing script a long time ago :-)

	Henrik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:01:35 -0700

> please check that the text works for you.

Looks fine to me.

> taken care of that in your post-processing script a long time ago :-)

Yeah - the script actually does a bunch of translations (quotes,
hyphens) *and* checks for any ASCII chars that are out of range anyway.

Thanks,

Joe

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:39:47 -0400

Joe,

> through which it could/should be vetted - if so, please let me know).

Not sure how to do this exactly, but it would be nice if the document
were vetted by folk that actually use MS word.

Has this been done or could it be done? Perhaps a note to the ietf
list asking for some volunteers to use it?

Thomas

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:40:50 -0700

> list asking for some volunteers to use it?

I've done this several times, and had a modest amount of input, which
has already been addressed. When I get ready for a 'last call' I'll
press the issue again on the general list.

Thanks,

Joe