Subject: [Tools-discuss] suggestion for id-draft diff tool

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:37:13 -0400

The wg tool pages let you see the diffs for draft-wg-foo version N
versus N-1 for N>0. For documents that started out as individual
submissions, it would be nice to see this carried further into
comparisons from N=0 into the individual submission series.

One way to accomplish this would be to let the author or WG chair
indicate the relationship between a document and an earlier document
with a different name. For example, the I-D submission tool could let
such a field be filled in whenever a -00 document is submitted. Links
between older documents could be added through a link on the wg draft
tool page.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:42:44 +0300 (EEST)

> between older documents could be added through a link on the wg draft

Actually, you can even tell the secretariat which drafts obsolete the 
others, and this info is available from the tracker (look for e.g., 
draft-ietf-v6ops-security-overview).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:31:56 +0200

> draft-ietf-v6ops-security-overview).

Yes, where the tracker has this information, I also have it available
as a list of drafts which are replaced by other drafts.  I'll add code
to look for this to the draft pages.  Good idea.

Already today, when a -00 document is submitted, it is possible to tell
the secretariat that it replaces an earlier document, and that information
will be recorded.  However, not all authors or chairs know that this is
possible, and thus don't use it.

For the I-D submission tool, it is a good idea to have a "replaces" field
for -00 documents, and that is actually already part of the requirements.

	Henrik