Subject: RE: [Tools-discuss] Feature suggestion for ID tracker

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:45:19 +0300

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> 
> Pasi, as far as I can see "who has next action" is always clear
> (except for Dead state). For example New I-D Needed ==> authors,
> AD Follow-up ==> AD, etc.

I wish it was that simple... One draft I'm working on has been in 
"AD Followup" state for 6 months now. During that time, there have 
been several email exchanges between the authors and the AD, three 
new versions of the I-D to address the results of those emails, and 
long periods of time when nothing happened (partly because nobody 
knew who had the next action).

> What is missing, and which is in the wish list already, is
> generation of periodic reminders automatically, every N weeks,
> if the state doesn't change.

It sounds this feature could address roughly the same problem 
(e.g., get the AD to check the status periodically, and if he/she 
thinks the ball is in the author's court, change state to 
"New I-D Needed").

Best regards,
Pasi

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:19:56 +0200

> knew who had the next action).

Yes, that can happen without any state change in the tracker.
I'm not sure there is an easy answer. If both sides of the
mail exchange are very busy people, these things can be very
laborious.
> thinks the ball is in the author's court, change state to 

I don't know about automatic state changes, but the case above certainly
seems that it should have flipped between "AD Followup" and "New
I-D Needed" a couple of times.

    Brian