Subject: [Tools-discuss] Workgroup tool, set of rfc documents (srd)

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:19:21 -0700

To provide stable references and to formally incorporate and  
categorize RFC relationships within a specific endeavour, in a  
fashion similar to Bill Fenner's diagrams, a tool has been developed  
to permit the creation of an HTML page from simple xml inputs.  While  
the errata should be conditionally displayed, this requires some type  
of feed-back from the RFC editor errata page, or perhaps a convention  
that applies an errata URI within the reference element target URI  
attribute, or an xml list of RFCs when errata is outstanding for the  
RFC.  Normally the reference/format/@target is used to locate the  
draft, where the reference/@target is not used by RFCs.

The page where this tool can be found is at

http://www.sonic.net/~dougotis/newtrk/

The draft related to this tool is being discussed within the newtrk wg.

-Doug

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:57:09 +0200

Hi Doug,

> The draft related to this tool is being discussed within the newtrk wg.

Umm - I have to admit that I haven't been following newtrk closely, and
don't immediately realize from the description and tool page exactly
what the tool does and how I could use it.  Could you indicate the name
of the relevant draft, so I could read up on this?

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:45:13 -0700

> of the relevant draft, so I could read up on this?

The link to the draft was the first on the web page.

Here are some draft specific links:

http://www.sonic.net/~dougotis/id/draft-otis-newtrk-rfc-set-02.html
   or
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-otis-newtrk-rfc-set-02.txt

The concept behind this tool and related xml structure was to help  
organize RFC and provide stable references.  The xslt file is  
primitive and was intended to provide only a basic example.  As you  
can see the structure is simple enough to where a web page could act  
as an entry form for generating the xml version of the srd.  The  
first draft was well received at the Newtrk WG meeting on the Friday  
in Paris.  It has undergone two revisions since.  This WG meeting was  
the last day to allow those concerned to attend.

I thought to expose this to those familiar with tools in the hopes  
the xslt files might be embellished to provide nicer outputs,  
including a text version.  If copyright is given to the Internet  
Society, I would be happy to include these in the next draft while  
crediting their authors.  My advice would be to keep it simple.  I  
raised an issue regarding the selective display of the errata link.   
There are several ways this could be solved.

Perhaps following the next meeting, the IETF may accept SRDs on a  
trial basis and publishing them under srd and srd-wip.  It is my  
view, an SRD should only appear under srd when approved by the IESG  
after being presented by an area director.

-Doug